Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Combining Wireless and Wired/Ethernet Backhaul - is it possible and does it work reliably?

GadgetObsessed
Aspirant

Combining Wireless and Wired/Ethernet Backhaul - is it possible and does it work reliably?

I currently have my router in the corner of my house (where the broadband connection is) and have problems getting reliable wifi around a relatively large 5 bed house - even with range extenders.

I am looking to replace my existing set up with a Netgear Orbi RBK53 with 2 satellites as follows:

(1) Have the main Orbi router roughly in the centre of the house. It will be connected to my existing router via ethernet - this cabling goes via an unmanaged switch. (I will disable wifi on my existing router)

(2) Put one of the satellites in the office, which is on one side of the house, connected to the same ethernet network as the Orbi router and the existing broadband router. As I understand it this should use ethernet for the backhaul.

(3)  Put the other satellite on the other side of the house. No network connectivity here so backhaul will be wireless.

Q1 - does having one satellite connect wirelessly and another connect via ethernet work? Netgears page on Ethernet backhaul only shows all of the satelites being connected via ethernet.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Q2 - is this approach recommended or should I keep it simple and have both satellites connected wirelessly if possible?

There seem to be a number of posts from people having issues with ethernet backhaul. (Generally, the number of issues that people seem to have with the Orbi makes me concerned about it's reliability.)

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Combining Wireless and Wired/Ethernet Backhaul - is it possible and does it work reliably?

Q1 - does having one satellite connect wirelessly and another connect via ethernet work? Netgears page on Ethernet backhaul only shows all of the satelites being connected via ethernet.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

You can have mixed wired and wireless backhaul. Seen various users post problems here and there.

Q2 - is this approach recommended or should I keep it simple and have both satellites connected wirelessly if possible?

I would try running either wired backhaul or wireless. Some users seem to prefer using wireless back haul and have better experiences.

I used my router and 1 satellite wired backhaul. No issues in a 5000sq ft home. 40 feet in between the router and satellite.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 2 of 6
GadgetObsessed
Aspirant

My house is around 5,000 square feet. All of the original internal walls are brick, coated in something from the 1930s that is like concrete.  Transmission through these walls seems to be poor.

The main reason that I feel that I need two satelites is that two key rooms to get wifi to are in extensions that were built on either side of the original house. These extensions are separated from the main core of the house by the original exterior walls - which are two layers of brick with an insulation layer between them.

Access Point in Room 1 - is only about 15 to 20 feet from the location where the hub will be - but up a floor - so through a ceiling and the external wall. This room has a wired network point - so I was planning on putting one of the satellites in this room connected via ethernet.

Access Point in Room 2 - is around 35 to 40 feet from the location where the hub will be and on the same floor. Transmission to this room will be through one internal brick wall and the external wall. I was planning on putting the seond satellite in the kitchen - which is between the main hub and Room 2.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

That will be a factor then. I would recommend running wired backhaul for your home.

Message 4 of 6
GadgetObsessed
Aspirant

Thats the problem - I can run wired backhaul for room 1 but not for Room 2. I will get the Orbi and try the mixed wired and wireless backhaul. If it does not work I will simply send it back. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable Daisy chain after you get it setup.

Follw this as well for both satellites:

Set up IP address reservations for each satellite and devices on the router as you add them to the router. The satellites need to be set up via wireless first. Then connect 1 satellite at a time to the ethernet LAN cable. Wait 5 minutes and the top led on the satellite should turn on BLUE. Set up an IP address reservation for the 1st satellite. Continue to do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Then follow up with your devices.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7