Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Combining rbk 352 with rbk 23

Chokey01
Aspirant

Combining rbk 352 with rbk 23

Hi all,
I now know dat de rbs20 salelites can’t function with a rbr350 router. So i was wondering.
When i set up de rbr350 router + 2 rbs350 satelites and then Connect the rbr20 (in AP mode) with a cable to the rbr350. And can i then Connect the 3 rbs20 satelites with the rbr20?
When i give them the same ssid and password it should be working? Or can’t the rbs20’s Connect with the rbr20 in AP mode?
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, the existing RBK23 system can be connected with ethernet to the RBR350 router, just as it can be connected to any WiFi router of any brand.  The RBK23 system will create a separate WiFi network.  With the RBR20 in access point (AP) mode, all IP assignments will be done by the primary WiFi router, so devices connected to both WiFi systems will be able to communicate with each other in one local network (LAN).

The problem is that the systems will be separate.  Devices will not roam from a unit on one Orbi system to a unit on the other sysem because the two Orbi routers will not be communicating that sort of information between themselves.

This makes no difference to devices which do not move.  Most Internet of Things (IoT) devices stay in one place. A smart plug, security camera, doorbell, television, garage door opener, sprinkler controller, smart light bulb, etc. will connect to the strongest signal and be fine.

The issue regards devices which move. A laptop, tablet, or phone will get no assistance in roaming from an AP on one network to an AP on the other network.

Using the same (or different) SSID/password on both systems affects roaming.  If they are different, then switching is a matter of opening WiFi settings and clicking on the other network.  If they are the same, then getting a device to switch might require "forgetting" the current system so that the device will search for WiFi systems and present choices.  The password would have to be input again.

Message 2 of 6
Chokey01
Aspirant

Thank you for Your reaction.
2 more questions:
- can the satelites rbs20 Connect to the rbr in AP mode by wifi. So can they extend the WiFi network?
- when i use the same SSID by both networks, i don’t have to droger the network in my settings? My mobile devices see this as 1 network isn’t it?

Unfortunatly i cannot create one network at the rbr350 router, because this router cannot communicate with the rbs20 satelites through wifi. Thats why i am looking for the best alternative
Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Chokey01 wrote:
Thank you for Your reaction.
2 more questions:
- can the satelites rbs20 Connect to the rbr in AP mode by wifi. So can they extend the WiFi network?
- when i use the same SSID by both networks, i don’t have to droger the network in my settings? My mobile devices see this as 1 network isn’t it?

The RBS20 satellites will communicate with the RBR20 router over WiFi.

The word "droger" did not translate correctly.  I honestly have no idea how devices will display two WiFi networks with the same SSID.

It is very clear that most WiFi devices (phones, tablets, laptops, etc.) display one SSID for an Orbi system, even though there may be several Orbi units broadcasting the same SSID. (That's how all my devices work.)

It is only a guess, but I have a feeling that most WiFi devices would display one entry SSID entry, but that the user would have no way to know which WiFi system it refers to.

I think the "bottom line" is that this will not be "1 network" in the sense of a typical Orbi mesh network.

Message 4 of 6
Chokey01
Aspirant

It is strange it doesn’t work
I connected the rbr20 through ethernet to rbr350.
I switched the rbr20 to AP mode,
I see in or i app all rbs20 satelites are connected (wired) but i think this comes because rbr350 “thinks” every device after the rbr20 is wired.

But the device connected to rbr20 (wired) has no internet connection.
So this is it:
Rbr350 -> wired to rbr20 (AP mode) -> tv wired (no intenet)
Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Chokey01 wrote:
It is strange it doesn’t work
I connected the rbr20 through ethernet to rbr350.
I switched the rbr20 to AP mode,
I see in or i app all rbs20 satelites are connected (wired) but i think this comes because rbr350 “thinks” every device after the rbr20 is wired.
Yes, all these devices appear on a LAN port of the RBR350, so by definition they are "wired".
This is an example showing that the two Orbi systems are independent.  The RBR350 has no idea that the RBR20 is anything besides a device with a lot of MAC addresses. Doesn't know that it is an Orbi, and doesn't know that it is actually an access point.

But the device connected to rbr20 (wired) has no internet connection.
So this is it:
Rbr350 -> wired to rbr20 (AP mode) -> tv wired (no intenet)

The RBR20 is connected using the WAN (yellow) ethernet port, correct?

Do the RBR20 and RBS20's have IP addressses?

Does the tv appear on the Attached Devices page of both Orbi systems?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7