Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Compatibility between RBK853 and RBS50

Nukdae66
Follower

Compatibility between RBK853 and RBS50

Less that 3 years ago I purchased the RBK50 AC3000 with one satellite for my home network.  Later, after not getting great coverage I purchased another satellite RBS50V2.  The network worked well during COVID and telework until last November when the network began dropping several times a day.  Surprising since the equipment wasn't that old.

I have been a Netgear fan for many years so I just purchased the RBK853 that has a base and two satellites.  I have two RBS50 satellites and don't want to just throw them away.  But I tried to add a satellite on the ORBI app and it didn't work.  So I call the tech line and was told it would work with the new RBK853.

I haven't been able to get the older satellites connected.  Does anyone know how to add them, without a cable, to expand my network?  Seems like this equipment should be backwards comparable to reduce costs to consumers.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Compatibility between RBK853 and RBS50

@Nukdae66 wrote:

I haven't been able to get the older satellites connected.  Does anyone know how to add them, without a cable, to expand my network?  Seems like this equipment should be backwards comparable to reduce costs to consumers.

I believe you will find that the only way the older satellites will connect to the new AX Orbi is with ethernet.  The AX Orbi use "AX WiFi" for the backhaul connection, which the older Orbi radios do not support.  Probably get more detailed explanation if you post in the AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Compatibility between RBK853 and RBS50

You can only connect RBS AC series to Orbi AX systems via Ethernet. They are not wireslly compatibe. 

@Nukdae66 wrote:

Less that 3 years ago I purchased the RBK50 AC3000 with one satellite for my home network.  Later, after not getting great coverage I purchased another satellite RBS50V2.  The network worked well during COVID and telework until last November when the network began dropping several times a day.  Surprising since the equipment wasn't that old.

I have been a Netgear fan for many years so I just purchased the RBK853 that has a base and two satellites.  I have two RBS50 satellites and don't want to just throw them away.  But I tried to add a satellite on the ORBI app and it didn't work.  So I call the tech line and was told it would work with the new RBK853.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7