Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Compatibility with Orbi RBS20 and RBR40

agolem12
Initiate

Compatibility with Orbi RBS20 and RBR40

Hello,

I have an Orbi RBS20 and RBR40 system in my house with an Arris modem.  Spectrum just upgraded me to a plan that has internet speeds of 500mpbs, but is telling me that my modem cannot handle those speeds.  Before purchasing a new modem:

a.  Do I need to worry about its compatibility with my Orbi system?  I am looking at DOCSIS 3.1 modems.

b.  Can my Orbi system handle these higher speeds?

Any support that you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Compatibility with Orbi RBS20 and RBR40

1. what actual modem do you have? I've gotten that notice before on a device fully capable of handling the speeds I was upgrading to. 

2. The Orbi system can handle those speeds wired and wireless. You won't max out the 500mbps over wireless but if you have a decent device that you're testing on and are close to the orbi, you should get close. Its more a limitation of the wireless AC and device you're testing on. Because of wireless overhead, interference, obstruction, etc, wireless won't hit the same speeds as a wired device but you should still be fine. 

Message 2 of 4
agolem12
Initiate

I have an Arris SB6190, currently.  Spectrum is telling me that my model cannot handle the new upgrade speed of 500 mpbs.  I tested my system internet speeds and can get upward of 275.  I am just trying to figure out if I need to upgrade my Orbi system for these new speeds, my modem, or both, OR if Spectrum is trying to rope me into renting their equipment.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

The orbi should do fine. 

I'd take a look through the smallnetbuilder testing on it. You have to keep in mind that you won't hit those same speeds because they're tested in a controlled environment but the 40 series is a pretty solid system. 

Wi-Fi System Roundup - SmallNetBuilder

And it looks like spectrum has the SB6190 approved up to their 400mbps tier according to their website. 

Authorized Modems to Use on the Spectrum Network | Spectrum Support

So not sure if its worth upgrading for you or not. Basicallly comes down to if you need the extra speed you might bet from upgrading to a better AX mesh system. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7