Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Compatibility with idevices

rcm904
Aspirant

Compatibility with idevices

I am trying to get the Orbit to work wtih idevices home automation switches. The idevices folks told last week (Nov 2017) me that they are not compatible with Orbi because Orbi does not support multicast. I think I read on one of the other threads that multicast is now supported. Is that correct? Seems odd. I have one idevices switch in my network and it seemed to set up and start working ok, but every hour or so it will turn off the light then turn it back on a few seconds later. Wondering if this is due to the multicast thing? And wondering if there is love between these two companies. Need to figure out what the real story is before I decide to invest in more idevices or if I should ditch the Orbi? Hello Netgear? All of you oflks need to play nice with each other? Any standards committee people listening? How can we set up home automation with these folks not being interoperable? Anyone that has an defiinitive info please let me know. Many thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
Cagouille74
Aspirant

Bringing this message up as I am facing the same issue.

I was hoping the latest FW update (2.1.1.16) would have improved things, but I havent seen any changes...

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 6
rcm904
Aspirant

Thanks for posting. I hope someone from Netgear or idevices sees this and gives us some info. We should not be dealing with such an incompatiblity issue, especially at the prices of these items. I am seriously thinking of ditching the Orbi if there is not some movement from one side or the other to address this. Cheap things I understand; not so much with the premium products.

Message 3 of 6
vcdx71
Star

@rcm904 wrote:

I am trying to get the Orbit to work wtih idevices home automation switches. The idevices folks told last week (Nov 2017) me that they are not compatible with Orbi because Orbi does not support multicast. I think I read on one of the other threads that multicast is now supported. Is that correct? Seems odd. I have one idevices switch in my network and it seemed to set up and start working ok, but every hour or so it will turn off the light then turn it back on a few seconds later. Wondering if this is due to the multicast thing? And wondering if there is love between these two companies. Need to figure out what the real story is before I decide to invest in more idevices or if I should ditch the Orbi? Hello Netgear? All of you oflks need to play nice with each other? Any standards committee people listening? How can we set up home automation with these folks not being interoperable? Anyone that has an defiinitive info please let me know. Many thanks!

Yes I was told the same thing and given an support article where they state iDevice switches aren't compatible with Orbi. I then procedded to replace all my iDevice switches with Koogeek and it's been great.. Any company who would make multicast a requirement in this day and age doesn't know what they are doing..

Message 4 of 6
jmschnur923
Luminary

Tsp smart switches work for me. KASA, Alexa, and automatic time set

Message 5 of 6
Cagouille74
Aspirant

The Orbi is in its box - A brand new Linksys Velop is now installed and all my idevices switches and dimmers are now working perfectly!

I can't waste more time waiting for a hypothetical firmware fix.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7