Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Compatible?

thomasoyen
Aspirant

Compatible?

Have RBK50 today (router and 2 satellites). However, I'm struggling a bit. House is 2 floors, and with waterbased heat in the floor (on alumina plates), covering gets a little bit tricky

I think I need to expand with another satellite. Is there any of these new product that are compatible with my system, or do I have to settle with one like on the attached picture?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Compatible?

You can use any of the

RBS20

RBW30

RBS40

RBS40V

RBS50

RBS50Y

How big is your home? if you have alumina plates in the flooring, it blocks wifi extremely well. You might get better performance/coverage if you can figure out a way to hardwire in the satellites and use the ethernet backhaul versus trying to transmit through the alumina. 

Options? 

A couple ethernet runs

Trying powerline devices for the backhaul. not all houses work well with powerline but its something to investigate.

Moca adapters. its ethernet over powerline. many homes have coax ran in the rooms and you can get adapters to use it as an ethernet connection. 

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@thomasoyen wrote:

Have RBK50 today (router and 2 satellites). However, I'm struggling a bit. House is 2 floors, and with waterbased heat in the floor (on alumina plates), covering gets a little bit tricky

I think I need to expand with another satellite. Is there any of these new product that are compatible with my system, or do I have to settle with one like on the attached picture?

Message 3 of 5
thomasoyen
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for helping. A little more info from me: House was new in 2014, I have CAT6-cables all over the place, so everything is wired. 

However, the router is placed in a technical room on the second floor, and on top of a metal cabinet (housing a switch, mycloud etc). 

Both satellites are on first floor. I have an outtake on second floor to place another satellite, I think that is the best solution. 

As of those compatible, which one is better? Another RBS50?

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

It's best to keep with the same model series...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7