Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Complaint re appalling customer service

NeverOrbi
Tutor

Complaint re appalling customer service

Solid Magenta light on Orbi WAP, no internet connectivity, called customer service, no help (indeed made problem worse), after taking email address and serial number tech promised that if problem persisted he would replace hardware. After one hour, said that I was out of warranty and this wouldn't happen. Broken promise #1.

Called back the next day, rep wanted me to go through troubleshooting steps that I had already been through. Told him about previous day's call, and after much time he agreed that call would be pulled and gave me case number. He promised FAITHFULLY that - although a manager wasn't available - one would call me back within four hours. He couldn't give me ETA of call being pulled but wasn't authorized to email me (despite having asked for my email address) confirmation that complaint had been initiated. No call back was received. Broken promise #2.

Called back the next day (June 17), spoke with Vishel who was very reluctant to either identify himself or give me a corporate number. He wasn't aware of any official complaint procedure either, and was extremely rude (shouldn't be in customer service ANYWHERE). 

I am left with equipment which none of the three technicians are able to fix, I am out of warranty, the first technician's genius idea that I should restore factory defaults has completely broken my newtwork, on top of which I am out $400. I WANT ONE REASON WHY I SHOULD RECOMMEND NETGEAR TO ANYONE. This is a completely unacceptable level of customer service.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Re: Complaint re appalling customer service

This community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies. It is not the best place for rants about Netgear's support. There's not much that anyone here can do about it.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

There is a good chance that someone here would be able to help you to fix things. But to do that they need to know what is going on at your end.

Your message lacks any information that would help on that front.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@Blanca_O 

Message 3 of 11
NeverOrbi
Tutor

Whereas I hear what you're saying, it is almost impossible to find any set way of making a formal complaint, and as such the best I can do is let someone know how appalling Netgear's customer service is, and that's not a subjective statement, there is empirical evidence.
Oh, and FYI, I don't rant. Ranting is a knee-jerk reaction with little basis in truth. I waited many hours before saying anything, and then only started the facts. If people don't like it, then that is a small fraction of the annoyance I feel. Having said that, thank you for your reply. Have a nice day.
Message 4 of 11
NeverOrbi
Tutor

Using an Orbi RSR50 in AP mode. I resolved the issue without tech support, as none of their proposed actions made any sense, and they wouldn't accept that I suspected what the issue was, which for their information was:
I had Pi-hole running in a VM on an ESXi server. The latest Windows update broke SMB, and as such the network connectivity of the server. Since the IP the Orbi had as its primary DNS server no longer existed, it threw a fit. It's all sorted now, though. The most worrying thing from Netgear's point of view, and disturbingly the fact which seems to evade all who viewed my initial post, was the absolute lack of integrity and customer care which its technical support staff show, and I am far from being the first to point this out. Not knowing what your complaint procedure is, is unforgivable, as is not knowing what the address of your corporate headquarters is. I speak from experience, and no, I'm not ranting.
Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If your running in AP mode then it means you already have a router in front of the Orbi. Running Orbi in router mode with a router in front of it is NOT recommended. 

SMB v1 was disabled by MS for Windows 10. It can't be re-enabled if that version of SMB is needed. 

Reason for asking about modem Mfr and model or front end router questions is helpful so we know what direction to point users with the Orbi configuration. 

Sorry that NG support wasn't more helpful. Maybe post next time in the forums and let some of us try to help you out first. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 11

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If your running in AP mode then it means you already have a router in front of the Orbi. Running Orbi in router mode with a router in front of it is NOT recommended. 

Indeed. A bit of time spent here asking sensible questions and providing useful details is a good way of keeping your blood pressure within safe limits.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya man. I hate having to talk to any kind of phone support. Smiley Frustrated

@michaelkenward wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Indeed. A bit of time spent here asking sensible questions and providing useful details is a good way of keeping your blood pressure within safe limits.

Message 8 of 11
Costin1976
Initiate

My experience with my Orbi router is terrible as well. Few months old unit simply does not work anymore every time when power is off or internet is off. Just to wouldn’t connect anymore. My old Apple does it and I am using it now and the new sophisticated outer is useless !! Is this NORMAL ???
Very very disappointing !!! 300 $ wasted...
Or maybe that’s the plan ??? Build a lousy product that fails consistently so we pay on technical support ???’!!! Shame on you !!!
Message 9 of 11

@Costin1976 wrote:
My experience with my Orbi router is terrible as well. Few months old unit simply does not work anymore every time when power is off or internet is off. Just to wouldn’t connect anymore. My old Apple does it and I am using it now and the new sophisticated outer is useless !! Is this NORMAL ???
Or maybe that’s the plan ??? Build a lousy product that fails consistently so we pay on technical support ???’!!! Shame on you !!!

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one. If you do want help with your problem, and not just to complain, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

You should not need to pay for technical support for a new (<90 days) device. After that, your best bet is to try here.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

There was a known issue a long tmie ago about Orbi not working power power outages. NG had fixed that. Not sure if this would be the same. Let us know if this is what your having problems with. Hopefully we can help you on this. 

@Costin1976 wrote:

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7