Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Complicated Network Setup

RayanSF
Tutor

Complicated Network Setup

This question assumes that Ethernet backhaul is supported.

So currently my setup is like this:
ISP modem (also used as the main router)
ISP router connected to AP1 via Ethernet 1
ISP router connected to AP2 via Ethernet 2
So the ISP is the central point and it's the router.

I'm wondering if it'll work like that with Orbi. I'd replace my access points with the two Orbi sats and still have the ISP modem as the main router. Would it work? And if so, what functionalities would I lose?

If it doesn't work like and I have to make one Orbi as the main router and my ISP modem as just a modem, then, can I do the following without any issues:
1- ISP modem to Orbi router (WAN)
2- Orbi sat to ISP modem (on one of the Ethernet ports) just to have it on the network.

Would that work? Would Orbi router recognize Orbi sat through the ISP modem like that? Or is that impossible in networking?
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Complicated Network Setup

@RayanSF Those are good reasons to change from your current setup.  However, Orbi is not the solution for you if you already have wires in place and your priorities are seamless roaming, control, and monitoring. Orbi either falls short or does not include these features at all.

Yes, Orbi supports seamless roaming, but Orbi provides ZERO control over the radio channels used, or the power output, and that is a problem.  Orbi provides nothing special as a router, and is very limited there also.  Orbi's benefit is the wireless backhaul, which allows coverage where wires cannot easily be run.  Orbi does that well, but there's nothing much past that, at least in the current firmware.

For what you want you should look at the Unifi series of wired access points and the Cloud Key controller. These provide complete control, comprehensive reporting, an excellent app for setup, testing, and monitoring, etc. There is no router included, so you'd need to use your existing router or add a new one with the features you want.

I have both Orbi and Unifi systems, so I know the capabilities of each.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Yes, you can set the Orbi to Access Point mode.

Message 2 of 6
st_shaw
Master

@RayanSF Yes you can use Orbi in AP mode with your existing router. However you cannot connect the satellites with an Ethernet wire. You wire the base Orbi unit to your router and the sats  communicate with the base wirelessly.

If you already have a setup with two wired APs why would you even consider Orbi?

Message 3 of 6
RayanSF
Tutor

@st_shaw Because my existing setup doesn't support automatic roaming for devices out of the box (which I assume Orbi does) and the APs are kind of old that's why I started considering Orbi. Only considering though. In addition to automatic roaming (which I hope it supports that) Orbi has other nice features of controlling internet usage and seeing stats about it as well as other small things that actually make for a easier setup and maintanence such as automatic firmware update. Current AP have none of these features and mostly because they are just configured as APs and my ISP router doesn't give me anything to control. That's why I'm wondering what functionality will I lose if I make Orbi into only APs, will I lose these awesome functionalities?
Message 4 of 6
OrbiMan
Luminary

If you want all of Orbi features and controls of which there are not that many or granular. However if you do you have to make your ISP into a modem set it to bridge mode or act purely as a modem and set your Orbi to Router mode.
Message 5 of 6
st_shaw
Master

@RayanSF Those are good reasons to change from your current setup.  However, Orbi is not the solution for you if you already have wires in place and your priorities are seamless roaming, control, and monitoring. Orbi either falls short or does not include these features at all.

Yes, Orbi supports seamless roaming, but Orbi provides ZERO control over the radio channels used, or the power output, and that is a problem.  Orbi provides nothing special as a router, and is very limited there also.  Orbi's benefit is the wireless backhaul, which allows coverage where wires cannot easily be run.  Orbi does that well, but there's nothing much past that, at least in the current firmware.

For what you want you should look at the Unifi series of wired access points and the Cloud Key controller. These provide complete control, comprehensive reporting, an excellent app for setup, testing, and monitoring, etc. There is no router included, so you'd need to use your existing router or add a new one with the features you want.

I have both Orbi and Unifi systems, so I know the capabilities of each.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7