Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Comunication between ORBI and another router

gabier1
Aspirant

Comunication between ORBI and another router

Hello Everybody,

My ORBI system works perfectly. It covers the whole house and even a watering controller which is outside in the garden. But I have comunication problems between the ORBI system and the main box-router which is connected to Internet and manages phone, TV, etc ..

The problem arises because there are wired devices to the main box.

Different situations :

1. Wifi device to internet : no problem the communication works through the ORBI and the Internet Box and back

2. Wifi device to wifi device: no problem. My smartphone controls connected wifi loudspeakers trough the wifi network.

3. Wifi device to wired device : It does not work. If I try to connect the wired device to my smartphone connected by Wifi, they do not find each other.

the wired device is an HiFi amplifier. It is wired because it has to communicate with a NAS which is also wired. I will have the same problem if I want to control videos going from the NAS to a wired TV with my wifi smartphone.

What is to be done in order to have all these devices talking each other both ways ?

🙂 gabier

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Comunication between ORBI and another router

You should have only one unit in Router Mode: Either your "Main-box" or the Orbi. The other unit should be set to AP mode.

If you want to keep the "Main-box" as the router then you need to change the Orbi to AP mode under >> Advanced >> Advanced Setup >> Router/AP Mode.

Only cons that I know for Orbi in AP mode is that you will not be able to benifit from Orbi features like DDNS, VPN without a special setup in the "Main-box" router.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

@gabier1 wrote:

3. Wifi device to wired device : It does not work. If I try to connect the wired device to my smartphone connected by Wifi, they do not find each other.

the wired device is an HiFi amplifier. It is wired because it has to communicate with a NAS which is also wired. I will have the same problem if I want to control videos going from the NAS to a wired TV with my wifi smartphone.

What is to be done in order to have all these devices talking each other both ways ?

🙂 gabier

1. I assume that your Orbi is set in AP mode, correct? If not then it seems that you have two different networks, one from the main box-router and another from Orbi

2. Are all devices (wired and wireless) connected to the same network? Can you check which IP addresses are these devices assigned?

Message 2 of 5
gabier1
Aspirant

1. I assume that your Orbi is set in AP mode, correct? If not then it seems that you have two different networks, one from the main box-router and another from Orbi

2. Are all devices (wired and wireless) connected to the same network? Can you check which IP addresses are these devices assigned?

hello ekhalil,

Thank you indeed for your reply, I understand that I do not know enough about my Orbi router.

I do not know if I am in AP mode or not. I presume I installed the ORBI router and satellite in the default mode. I will search how to check this.

The fact is, it seems I have 2 networks

The first one is the so-called Livebox net (the main Internet box), the devices connected to it are wired and numbered 192.168.1.x. For instance the orbi router has address 192.168.1.16 and the Amplifier, when wired, is 192.168.1.15.

The second one, the Orbi network, is numbered 10.0.0.X. For instance my smartphone is numbered 10.0.0.9. I see this on the android app because I cannot login to the orbi router with my desktop because it is wired.

So you identified the problem. I have 2 networks and I would prefer to have only one. I will try to find how to do this, but any advice is welcome.

Edit : I connected my desktop to ORBI and found that I am in "ROUTER MODE". Should I change to "ACESS POINT MODE". What are the pros and con ?

🙂 gabier

Message 3 of 5
ekhalil
Master

You should have only one unit in Router Mode: Either your "Main-box" or the Orbi. The other unit should be set to AP mode.

If you want to keep the "Main-box" as the router then you need to change the Orbi to AP mode under >> Advanced >> Advanced Setup >> Router/AP Mode.

Only cons that I know for Orbi in AP mode is that you will not be able to benifit from Orbi features like DDNS, VPN without a special setup in the "Main-box" router.

Message 4 of 5
gabier1
Aspirant

I did put the ORBI in AP mode, and it works OK. All adresses are know given by the main box as 192.168.1.x and evrybody can communicate with everybody.

Thanks for having enlighted me about the mysteries of ip adresses.

🙂 gabier

P.S. I would like that somebody who knows how to transmit a message to the administrators tells me how to do this, for I had plenty of problems with lost passwords impossible to recover and the only solution I found was to forge a brand new identity and create a new account.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7