Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Config sync on RBS50

Zekkjace
Aspirant

Config sync on RBS50

I recently changed providers from Spectrum to AT&T. In my time with Charter, my Orbi worked perfectly the entire time because I used their modem but not their router. Pretty simple set up. After I switched to AT&T it’s been pretty unreliable. I’m running an RBK50 system.

I ultimately found out that there is no transparency mode or anything with AT&T, so you have to set up IP pass through, which I’ve done. It was still not working right, until I put my Orbi into AP mode instead of Router mode. At this point, the router started working perfectly, but my satellite pretty much refuses to work. Whenever I check on orbilogin.com it says the satellite is in “config sync” mode. I tried to sync them multiple times, in the same room and everything and nothing. Ultimately I ended up factory resetting the whole system and started over, and it was a little better. But it still said config sync on the web.

I was trying to adjust the settings a bit, because I had a yellow dot in the Orbi app instead of a green dot, in the same location I always had a green dot in router mode. Now it’s all confused and unreliable again. I can reset it all again and see what happens, I’m pretty sure the dot was yellow in the same room after the factory reset, but I’d have to try again to see.

I just don’t know what else to do to get the config sync message to go away. I feel like that’s the heart of the whole issue. Any advice?
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded? Both RBR and RBS should be using same version of FW. 

You are using default setting after doing a reset on the RBR and RBS and walking thru the setup wizard with a web browser and PC? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 10

I have AT&T with Arris BGW210-700 router set to IP Passthrough with wireless operations turned off.  Then I have RBR50 router set to AP mode.  Have been experiencing the 'config sync' issue on the Satellite also.  Opened a case with NG support and they are saying the Satellite is defective after troubleshooting for almost 2 hours on the phone.  Returned the Satellite today for replacement.   I suggest you also open a case with NG support.  I purchased the Orbi system with one router and one satellite on the Netgear website on March 19, 2020.  The support rep told me that the manufacture date on the satellite was 2016.  Will update when replacement arrives.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have your RBR in AP mode then remove the IP Pass thru funtion on the modem. That feature is only for when you are using the RBR in router mode. You don't have any firewall in place on the Orbi system in your current configuation. Not safe. 

@tooo_many_shoes wrote:

I have AT&T with Arris BGW210-700 router set to IP Passthrough with wireless operations turned off.  Then I have RBR50 router set to AP mode.  Have been experiencing the 'config sync' issue on the Satellite also.  Opened a case with NG support and they are saying the Satellite is defective after troubleshooting for almost 2 hours on the phone.  Returned the Satellite today for replacement.   I suggest you also open a case with NG support.  I purchased the Orbi system with one router and one satellite on the Netgear website on March 19, 2020.  The support rep told me that the manufacture date on the satellite was 2016.  Will update when replacement arrives.

Message 4 of 10
Zekkjace
Aspirant

I actually got mine working. I hate to admit, it was at least partially user error.

Whenever I was adding the MAC address via the AT&T modem/router portal to the IP Passthrough list, it was auto suggesting the device and MAC address. I read through the MAC address to verify it was correct, but I seemingly didn't read closely enough, because it was one number off. After correcting this, everything came online as it should with Router mode selected. So I'd suggest any other users to manually type in the MAC address on the IP passthrough page, as it could just be incorrect.

Since then, everything has been online, but my Sattelite has been horribly inconsistent performance wise. I would be getting full speeds in the room with the router, but when my device switches to teh sattelite, it was dropping down to close to 5-10 MBPS. I repositioned the satellite, and it seems to be better, but I was still getting "Strong" and "Blue" connections in the old spot. It's been working fine for a few days now so...

Message 5 of 10

Ok well let me explain a little further.  The reason I was wanting the Orbi router to assign the IP addresses is that it is probably more current technology (i.e. faster/overall better) than the AT&T provided Arris BGW210-700..maybe?  I found documentation online suggesting that.  Your opinion?  Or what other options are available?  Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Zekkjace wrote:

I actually got mine working. I hate to admit, it was at least partially user error.

Whenever I was adding the MAC address via the AT&T modem/router portal to the IP Passthrough list, it was auto suggesting the device and MAC address. I read through the MAC address to verify it was correct, but I seemingly didn't read closely enough, because it was one number off. After correcting this, everything came online as it should with Router mode selected. So I'd suggest any other users to manually type in the MAC address on the IP passthrough page, as it could just be incorrect.

Since then, everything has been online, but my Sattelite has been horribly inconsistent performance wise. I would be getting full speeds in the room with the router, but when my device switches to teh sattelite, it was dropping down to close to 5-10 MBPS. I repositioned the satellite, and it seems to be better, but I was still getting "Strong" and "Blue" connections in the old spot. It's been working fine for a few days now so...

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes having the Orbi router in router mode would be perferred over the ISP modem. IF you want to configure the RBR for router modem then use IP Passthru on the Modem for the RBR. When the RBR is in AP mode, do not use IP Pass thru on the modem for this configuration. 

@tooo_many_shoes wrote:

Ok well let me explain a little further.  The reason I was wanting the Orbi router to assign the IP addresses is that it is probably more current technology (i.e. faster/overall better) than the AT&T provided Arris BGW210-700..maybe?  I found documentation online suggesting that.  Your opinion?  Or what other options are available?  Thanks

Message 8 of 10

Received my replacement satellite from NG yesterday.  I received an updated version of the satellite - an RBS50v2.  Changed the config on the Orbi Router to router mode per your suggestion...and everything is working just fine.  Thank you so much!!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working well for you now. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@tooo_many_shoes wrote:

Received my replacement satellite from NG yesterday.  I received an updated version of the satellite - an RBS50v2.  Changed the config on the Orbi Router to router mode per your suggestion...and everything is working just fine.  Thank you so much!!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7