Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Configuration Somfy Outdoor Camera to Orbi Wifi

BikerBogie
Aspirant

Configuration Somfy Outdoor Camera to Orbi Wifi

Hi, 

appologies for writing in english but i want to spare you the grammatical mistakes as I'm a native dutch speaking guy 🙂

I currently experience issues on connecting my  Somfy Outdoor Camera to my existing and operational Somfy indoor security system which is configured to my Orbi Wifi netwerk.

I have an  RBK53 router + 2 satellites configured + an  Orbi outdoor extender.
The Somfy Outdoor camera is installed approx 5meters away from the orbi outdoor extender.

After different attempts that didn't succeed i did some research .... and i came to understand that the outdoor somfy camera needs to be linked/configured to a 2.4GHz netwerk ... trying to connect to a 5GHz netwerk doesn't work .... . Ooh God ... 😞 

Now my question is .... is there a possibility to configure the orbi outdoor extender to a 2.4GHz frequency band? ... or is it ....  "outdoor camera" "return to supplier" 🙂

Much appreciated all your reflections, advice. 
Best Regards, Philippe 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Most WiFi cameras that I have installed are configured by using a smartphone app to create a QR code that the camera interprets to learn the WiFi credentials (SSID and password).  If you can provide the exact model number of the camera, we can look at the User Manual to learn the setup process.  With the Orbi mesh system, it does not matter which Orbi unit the camera connects to during the initial setup.  I always configure new camera in the comfort of my home office (next to the Orbi router).  Once they are working correctly, I go "up the ladder" outside, mount the camera, and when power is applied it connects to the nearest Orbi satellite.

When a camera has only a 2.4G radio (which costs less and has greater range than 5G), the camera is unaware of 5G signals, just as it is unaware of AM radio signals, satellite TV signals, etc. etc.  There is one potential problem.  Some smartphone apps are written poorly. Instead of merely putting the SSID/password into the QR code, they attempt to "help" the camera by including the MAC address of the WiFi radio that the smartphone is connected to.  If this is a 5G WiFi, then of course the camera cannot find that WiFi system.  "Too much help" is not always helpful.

Sorry to go on (and on).  At which point in the installation process does it fail?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear provides a simple mechanism to accomplish this:
Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
Uncheck the box, "Broadcast SSID on 5G"
Click "Apply"
All devices that are currently connected to the Orbi will remain connected.
On the smartphone, go to wireless settings and "forget" the Orbi SSID
Search for available WiFi networks. Select the Orbi WiFi. Enter the password. and connect.
If you are curious about whether the smartphone is actually connected at 2.4G, you have to wait a few minutes, because the "Attached Devices" display takes a while to update.
Open the app and set up the 2.4G device.
Once the device is connected and working as it should, reverse the steps.
Check the "Broadcast" box and click "Apply"
"Forget" the Orbi WiFi. Search. Enter password. Connect.

Be aware that there seems to be a time limit with some iOS or Android devices that will connect to the 2.4Ghz radio for a short period of time before changing automatically to the 5Ghz SSID, even though it's been hidden. The SSID is hidden only, thus the signal is still present. So you might want to also change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Most WiFi cameras that I have installed are configured by using a smartphone app to create a QR code that the camera interprets to learn the WiFi credentials (SSID and password).  If you can provide the exact model number of the camera, we can look at the User Manual to learn the setup process.  With the Orbi mesh system, it does not matter which Orbi unit the camera connects to during the initial setup.  I always configure new camera in the comfort of my home office (next to the Orbi router).  Once they are working correctly, I go "up the ladder" outside, mount the camera, and when power is applied it connects to the nearest Orbi satellite.

When a camera has only a 2.4G radio (which costs less and has greater range than 5G), the camera is unaware of 5G signals, just as it is unaware of AM radio signals, satellite TV signals, etc. etc.  There is one potential problem.  Some smartphone apps are written poorly. Instead of merely putting the SSID/password into the QR code, they attempt to "help" the camera by including the MAC address of the WiFi radio that the smartphone is connected to.  If this is a 5G WiFi, then of course the camera cannot find that WiFi system.  "Too much help" is not always helpful.

Sorry to go on (and on).  At which point in the installation process does it fail?

Message 3 of 6
BikerBogie
Aspirant

Hi,
I succeeded in getting the WiFi camera connected to my Orbi system.
What I did was:
- I took the WiFi camera indoors, got it powered up and followed the installation proces via the configuration wizard ..as I also tried outdoors ....
but now the installation proces went super smooth ... as you indicated : having the WiFi camera in the neighbourhood of the Orbi Router must have made the difference.

After completing the installation proces I took the camera outdoors and fixed it again to the wall. After connecting the power supply the camera remained connected to my network.

So, thanks 🙏 for the reply and feedback.
Much appreciated.
Belgium 🇧🇪 greetings !
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 4 of 6
BikerBogie
Aspirant

Hi,
Much appreciated for your technical feedback. I’ll keep it in mind for future reference.
In meantime I succeeded in getting the WiFi camera connected to my network.
Solution : bringing the camera closer to my router and then following the installation wizard did the trick.
Best regards!
Belgium 🇧🇪 greetings !
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements