Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Configure VPN CLient like ExpressVPN or Nord VPN

rfox69
Follower

Configure VPN CLient like ExpressVPN or Nord VPN

I am trying to configure the router to connect to the VPN service to protect my entire home however I cannot find a way to make it work. Has anyone ever set up an ExpressVPN or NORD VPN accountt on the Orbi Router to protect all connected devices?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
quaningeneva
Apprentice

Orbi does not have a VPN client.  You can connect an ASUS router (ASUS has a built-in VPN client) to your Internet connection, put it in VPN client mode, and then connect the Orbi  to the ASUS router as an access point.

Message 2 of 8
Mike65
Aspirant

I have setup the PureVPN on Asus router by using this guide: https://www.purevpn.com/download/router-vpn 
but not directly on ORBI 

Message 4 of 8
Mike65
Aspirant

Message 5 of 8
alamojobe88
Aspirant

Hi  Everybody. Does the ASUS router have to the same network standard as the Orbi? For example, I have the Orbi RBK50 which is AC3000. Does the ASUS router have to be the same AC3000? Or can it be a lowered standard such as AC1900 or AC1750? Thanks in advance for the answer! 

Message 6 of 8
TheirMom
Aspirant

Alamojobe88 - The way I understand it, you will not use WiFi on ASUS router. You will connect your Orbi with cat6 cable to ASUS. and Orbi will provide WiFi.

So neither WiFi protocol nor its speed matters here.
Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

In addition to turning off the Asus WiFi, the Orbi probably needs to be put in Access Point (AP) mode.  This will avoid having two routers (the "double NAT" situation).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7