Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configure ethernet backhaul with daisychain + switch?

RiverCityNet
Aspirant

Configure ethernet backhaul with daisychain + switch?

Hello, experts! Can you help me convert my current, unreliable WiFi backhaul to Ethernet?

Some constratints, off the top:

• ISP service is business grade, router only (bridge mode/gateway not available)
  • Need to minimize wiring to the router, so no home runs
  • Home runs to a switch is possible (see diagram)

Casa Orbi.png

Option #1 is possible; Option #2 is preferred.

Questions:

1. Will both configurations work?
  2. What is the correct daisychain setting on the RBR40? (Currently set at "Off" to make my WiFi daisychain work)
  3. Any other settings that needs change for Ethernet backhaul?

Thanks, in advance.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Configure ethernet backhaul with daisychain + switch?

If the business router is doing the routing, running the orbi setup in AP mode should work. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If you're using an ethernet backhaul, either configuration will work. 
You can turn daisy chain on/off and it really shouldn't matter when running ethernet backhaul. I've ran it on and off without any impact. 

do you plan on putting the RBR40 in AP mode or trying to set it up with the RBR's in your primary routers dmz? 

Message 2 of 5
RiverCityNet
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick answer, @plemans. I wondered about the daisychain setting, since I remember that was a "gotcha" in the wifi setup.

I have been running the RBR40 in router mode, which would mean double-NATting everything on my net. So, are you saying can I use AP mode in this config and avoid that issue?

P.S. The business router is locked down by the ISP and remotely managed from their headend, which is why gateway isn't an option. I also don't have access to routing tables to set up DMZ. 😞

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

If the business router is doing the routing, running the orbi setup in AP mode should work. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7