Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configuring the Orbi RBR20 via a webpage?

sheepboy
Aspirant

Configuring the Orbi RBR20 via a webpage?

I got Orbi because of its built in Parental control, Circle. When I first set it up all was good for about a day, then…. Never had issues with my old Wi-Fi setup other than not having Parental Controls.

Issue: Network keeps dropping connection, can’t access services outside the Orbi network. This seems to happen multiple times a day/hour. The other night it was every 20min. wired network has no issues (see setup below).

Steps taken:

1. Hardwired Satellites to base station. – no help
  2. Turned off Parental controls (Circle) – helped but still get drop out every day.

Workaround…reboot Orbi

Setup...

Cable modem -> PC based firewall (Sophos UTM)-> Gig switch (Wired network) -> Orbi wan port

Have 10+ wifi devices on line at all times, when everyone is home it can go over 15+.

ROUTER INFORMATION

Hardware Version

RBR20

Firmware Version

V2.1.4.16

GUI Language Version

V1.0.0.325

Operation Mode

Router

LAN Port

MAC Address

CC:40:D0:5B:DF:A8

IP Address

DHCP Server

On

Model

Device Name

Current Version

Router

RBR20

RBR20

V2.1.4.16

Satellite

RBS20

Orbi Satellite-1 bed

V2.1.4.16

Satellite

RBS20

Orbi Satellite-2 office

V2.1.4.16

IP Address

192.168.xxx.61

Subnet Mask

Default Gateway

192.168.xxx.44

DHCP Server

192.168.xxx.44

DNS Server

192.168.xxx.44

Lease Obtained

0 Days, 7 Hours, 20 Minutes

Lease Expires

0 Days, 6 Hours, 1 Minutes

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Configuring the Orbi RBR20 via a webpage?

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem?
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.
 What is the Mfr and model# of the switch? Managed or Non Managed?

Try this Setup...

Cable modem -> Orbi wan port

Is the Orbi in Router mode or AP mode?

Message 2 of 6
sheepboy
Aspirant

Update...Just had My phone have no internet access, in this case for testing I turned on Parental controls (Circle). As soon as I hit save all was good with my device. Prior to this edit of settings, the kid’s wireless devices were working. Were all 12 "online" devices working, can’t say for sure but know 3 were working. Last night I know it was my phone and at least 2 other devices with this issue. My phone at this time and last night was connected to the router not a satellite.

FURRYe38 to Answer your questions…

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem? Model Name: SB6141 Vendor Name: ARRIS Group, Inc.(surfboard)

What is the size of your home? 5 bed 2 story Sq Ft?  3,122 sqft
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 35+ they are Hardwired to each other.

What is the Mfr and model# of the switch? Netgear gs116 Non Managed

Try this Setup...

Cable modem -> Orbi wan port -- my wired devices are not have connection issues, which is one network up from the Orbi. Prior to installing Orbi that now up stream network was handling ALL network traffic as the wireless hardware (3) was in AP mode, with no issues.

Is the Orbi in Router mode or AP mode? Router Mode, the whole reason I got this was for parental controls, in AP mode you have none.

I have a feeling that my particular Orbi Router is just too small for my network. As soon as you change a setting everything is good, almost like it resets the used memory and is now free to handle the load again.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Having a Firewall before router maybe a cause as well. When in router mode, the Orbi already had a built in firewall.

Try testing with out the Firewall between the modem and Orbi router.

Also try this:

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 4 of 6
sheepboy
Aspirant

Update.....

Decided the low-end version is not for me and upgraded to the RBR50. Better throughput and all that. Also seems like it has better admin controls built in.

Sadly, after the upgrade to RBR50 I still have the issues. I tried most of the requested settings with no luck.

Did some more detailed diagnostics and looking through lots of logs on my firewall and found that my "broken" devices have full access to the internet if you know the external IPs, So this is a DNS issue on my wireless network only.

After some internet digging I found that the Orbi Satellites can cause this issue. The solution suggested was to Assign a specific IP to the Satellite do not let it just get a "random" DHCP address.

Forced the Satellite to get a specific IP and after 24hs we are still up and running. No issues. Over the next couple of weeks I will be turning back on all the stuff that were turned off for testing and see how far I can get before it breaks again. Hoping it will not break.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got a better system and it's working not. Yes, it's recommended to set up IP address reservations for satellites ON the router. Or on the main host router if running in AP mode.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7