Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect 1st Orbi satellite via Ethernet to router then connect 2nd satellite wirelessly to 1st sat

alivelarde
Aspirant

Connect 1st Orbi satellite via Ethernet to router then connect 2nd satellite wirelessly to 1st sat

My router is located on the second level, my satellite is on the first floor (where my office is) but there are too many turns and walls to get there so reception is terrible.

I added a second satellite "half way" but although it improved slightly, it is still pretty slow compared to the speed on the second floor.

My question:

Could I use an ethernet cable to connect my router to the"half way" 1st satellite and then connect wirelessly my 2nd satellite (in the office) to the 1st satellite using a daisy chain topology?  Since they are much closer and there are not that many turns/walls between both satellites my hope is that the connection would improve. Any help would be greately appreciated.

If you wonder why I don't just just try it out and see if it works, the answer is  because I would have to drill through a few walls just to see if it works. 

Thanks, 

Alejandro

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Connect 1st Orbi satellite via Ethernet to router then connect 2nd satellite wirelessly to 1st s

Yes, "Daisy Chain" can mix ethernet and WiFi links.

A suggestion:  Before drilling through walls, get a l-o-n-g ethernet patch cord and string it between router and 1st satellite location. (up stairs, down hallways, etc.)  A 100ft. Cat 6 patch cable is $17 on Amazon.  What matters is the physical location of the two satellites in relation to each other.  The exact pathway taken by the ethernet link is unimportant.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connect 1st Orbi satellite via Ethernet to router then connect 2nd satellite wirelessly to 1st s

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@alivelarde wrote:

My router is located on the second level, my satellite is on the first floor (where my office is) but there are too many turns and walls to get there so reception is terrible.

I added a second satellite "half way" but although it improved slightly, it is still pretty slow compared to the speed on the second floor.

My question:

Could I use an ethernet cable to connect my router to the"half way" 1st satellite and then connect wirelessly my 2nd satellite (in the office) to the 1st satellite using a daisy chain topology?  Since they are much closer and there are not that many turns/walls between both satellites my hope is that the connection would improve. Any help would be greately appreciated.

If you wonder why I don't just just try it out and see if it works, the answer is  because I would have to drill through a few walls just to see if it works. 

Thanks, 

Alejandro

Message 3 of 8
alivelarde
Aspirant

Thank you very much for clarifying. I will make sure to try your suggestion of buying a long Ethernet cable to make sure the location of the 1st satellite is appropriate.
Thanks again.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 8
alivelarde
Aspirant

The distance may be a little over 30 ft but the layout of the house seem to be the problem. Too many walls between the router and the location of the 1st satellite and unfortunately there is not a closer place to place it.
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just making sure. Hopefully the LAN cable and wireless RBS will help get it working better. Building materials will impact signal. Nature of the beast. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
alivelarde
Aspirant

Thank you again!!!
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7