Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connect 2 Orbi RBR40 routers together

Gentlegianted
Aspirant

Connect 2 Orbi RBR40 routers together

There was no choice for RBR 40 but we have 2 of them. Prior to me arriving at this home it looks like they were using them to gain internet access at the far end of the home. Can someone tell me how to set these up, pair them or direct me to a manual. Looks like this is an older model. Is there problems with continuing to use this model? Thanks for any assistance

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15

All Replies
Gentlegianted
Aspirant

I actually made a mistake in the description above. One is RBR40 the other is RBS40

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

AFter you connect the Orbi router to the ISP modem, turn ON the router and satellite and connect a wired PC to the Orbi router. Using a web browser, navigate to orbilogin.com and begin to walk thru the setup wizard. This will help you get the router and satellite connected. 

Also download and review the installation guide from NG support site as well for additional help and information. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router will be connected too? 

Message 3 of 15
Gentlegianted
Aspirant

Hi thanks for your response. Its asking for log in information which cannt be found anywhere. Is there a way to completely reset the whole system? Start as if no one had ever set up before?

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, press in the reset button in back of the Orbi router. Hold it until the top of the Orbi router turns AMBER, then let go. The setup wizard should be presented. Be sure to write down important information here for safe keeping. 

Message 5 of 15
Gentlegianted
Aspirant

The modem is XFinity XFSETUP-0D85

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this model# or the wifi SSID? 

Look on the sticker on the modem for Model# information. I'm not seeing this particular value listed as a model#

Message 7 of 15
Gentlegianted
Aspirant

Just says XFSetup there is a Part Number or PN CGM4140COM

If that helps.

I went through the set up now trying to find optimal spot to place the Orbi extender node. After I unplug and take to next location to test do I need to press Sync or will it unpon restart look for the Master device?

I notice a white pulse color on the top then it sometimes turns blue-purple. What color is it when its connected and in idle mode? So far can’t get it to give me any boost. Thanks

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

If you set up the RBS unit in the same room initially with the router, once it's setup there, all you need to do is to power it down, take it to the remote location and power it on. No need to re-sync it. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Message 9 of 15
Gentlegianted
Aspirant

The setup is as follows: 

Main unit to first sattelite is 20 ft through a ceiling. 2nd sattelite is about 20 feet away through 2 plaster walls. The only other question I have is when I tun on the 2nd sattelite does it automatically look for the closest connection or do I need to sync it? Thanks seems to be working now.

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have Daisy chain enabled on the router, the the satellite will piggy back off the nearest satellite thats closer to the router. If DS is disabled, then the 2nd satallite will connect to the router base. 

If the distance is good for your house and the system work at 20 feet, it will be ok. If you seem to notice problems, you might try a distance of 25 feet to 30 and see. 

Message 11 of 15
Gentlegianted
Aspirant

How do I know if the DS is disabled? thanks

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 13 of 15
Gentlegianted
Aspirant

Well it seems to be working so I will leave well enough alone! Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated!

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Gentlegianted wrote:

Well it seems to be working so I will leave well enough alone! Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7