Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect 2 outdoor units to make a big mesh network?

TXFarmer
Follower

Connect 2 outdoor units to make a big mesh network?

We have 2 structures about 660 feet apart. One of them (Structure 1) currently has our inbound internet connection. The other structure (Structure 2) has power, and I'd like to find the easiest way to get networking over there. Can I install a RBS20 and a RBS50Y at Structure 1 and at Structure 2 and then add additional indoor RBS50 units in Structure 2 to build out a mesh network in both locations? Would the 2 outdoor units be able to handle that type of distance, and would the connection daisy-chaining through a few units cause an issue? I don't need gigabit speeds or anthing like that to Structure 2 (our internet doesn't support it anyway, so no need for it) but I'd like to be able to get say, 50-100 Mb from one structure to the other consistently if at all possible.

Also, does weather affect the outdoor units, i.e. does heavy rain or snow cause any issues in terms of signal strength?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Connect 2 outdoor units to make a big mesh network?

My guess is, "not likely."  I would check out the Ubiquiti line.  They have units at a fraction of the cost of the RBY50 that are designed specifically for creating a point-to-point link.  Several forum participants have posted about using Ubiquiti units to extend Orbi coverage.  660 ft. is a long diostance for 802.11 WiFi.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Connect 2 outdoor units to make a big mesh network?

agree with @CrimpOn 660ft is a long distance.  Running ethernet is only good for 100m without a booster/switch in line. If you got daisy chaining to work that far, you'll have issues with latency and errors would be my bet. I've never tried to reach that far but I've had issues trying to use wireless over a 200ft range with consumer gear. Especially for the speeds you want. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7