Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect ORBI 850 to existing Wifi, then network cable into PC

MagJo
Aspirant

Connect ORBI 850 to existing Wifi, then network cable into PC

Dear all 

i would like to connect to an external wifi with my pc that has no built in wifi. I have an Orbi rbs 850 satelite and would like to hook it up to the wifi and then use cable between it and my pc. Is this doable?

thanks! 

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connect ORBI 850 to existing Wifi, then network cable into PC

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Not possible. RBS850 only conect to a RBR7 or 8 series router.

Thank you.

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@MagJo wrote:

i would like to connect to an external wifi with my pc that has no built in wifi. I have an Orbi rbs 850 satelite and would like to hook it up to the wifi and then use cable between it and my pc. Is this doable?

The post is confusing.  An Orbi RBS850 satellite has four (4) gigabit ethernet ports.  If the computer is connected to one of these ports with an ethernet cable, then it is connected to the Orbi system.  WiFi is not relevant to the problem.

If the Orbi RBS850 satellite is functioning, then it IS connected to the Orbi WiFi router.

It would help if you could explain more about the situation, because as it stands the question makes no sense.

Sorry.

Message 3 of 7
MagJo
Aspirant

Sorry for incomplete description, the WiFi that I am going to connect to is an external (non-Orbi) hotel WiFi. So I need a bridge between my PC and the Wifi as my PC has no WiFi adapter and am trying to use the Orbi as this bridge.
Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Not aware an Orbi Satellite can be used as a wireless adapter or whatever kind, and even less as a mobile router.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@MagJo wrote:
Sorry for incomplete description, the WiFi that I am going to connect to is an external (non-Orbi) hotel WiFi. So I need a bridge between my PC and the Wifi as my PC has no WiFi adapter and am trying to use the Orbi as this bridge.

The correct solution is a WiFi-USB adapter, Search on Amazon for "WiFi USB adapter for laptop".

There are dozens of products starting at about $15US.

If you need it today, Best Buy, Office Depot, and Staples all carry them, although they have mostly name brands starting at about $25.

Message 6 of 7
Peterson556
Aspirant

Thanks for the update and quick reply. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread.

Omegle

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7