Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect Orbi RBK20 base and satellite with ethernet

titib
Aspirant

Connect Orbi RBK20 base and satellite with ethernet

Hello,

I've two questions: 

1) I'd like to know if it's possible to connect the base and the satellite of Orbi RBK20 via the Ethernet port (there are too far away to be connected by wifi). 

2) Does it create any problem to connect a switch do the base to extand the number of ethernet ports? 

Thanks,

I. 

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Connect Orbi RBK20 base and satellite with ethernet

Both situations will work. I prefer the wired backhaul and have a switched attached to both of my units.  Works great for me. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Just make sure the switch is non managed and non Green Ethernet. If you do have a managed switch, be sure ALL IGMP protocols are disabled on the managed switch. 

Message 3 of 7
titib
Aspirant

Thanks for your answers! 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Good luck. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 7

Adding another wrinkle, I have an Orbi base station (router in AP mode) on the end of a Powerline Ethernet network.

Works fine.

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Adding another wrinkle, I have an Orbi base station (router in AP mode) on the end of a Powerline Ethernet network.

Works fine.

@michaelkenward I've always been curious how powerline backhaul compares to the wireless backhaul for Orbi. My house is wired for gigabit so thats the route I've always went. Plus all the new arc fault breakers and gfci makes powerline not very effective in my house. It'd be interesting to see Orbi with integrated powerline for failover option.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7