Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect the router to the modem

Naskar_SP
Aspirant

Connect the router to the modem

Hi!

This is a very simple question, documentation states that I have to connect the rbr20 directly to the router.

Since my router is located into a wardrobe (yes, that’s the point my wifi is so poor!), is it possible connect the rbr to a rj45 wall port?

Thanks!
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Connect the router to the modem

@Naskar_SP wrote:
This is a very simple question, documentation states that I have to connect the rbr20 directly to the router.
Since my router is located into a wardrobe (yes, that’s the point my wifi is so poor!), is it possible connect the rbr to a rj45 wall port?

The ethernet cable connecting Orbi to modem can be up to 300ft. long.  As long as the connection goes from the Orbi WAN port to the modem ethernet port, it doesn't matter how many pieces of cable it takes.  For example:

Orbi WAN port--<ethernet patch cable>--RJ45 jack--<ethernet cable in wall>-- patch panel RJ45 port --<ethernet patch cable--> modem ethernet port.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You usually connect the RBR20 to a modem/gateway. 

What modem/gateway do you have? 

Does that modem/gateway have an RJ45 jack ran somewhere else? Or what is that RJ45 jack that you had ran from ? 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@Naskar_SP wrote:

The ethernet cable connecting Orbi to modem can be up to 300ft. long.  As long as the connection goes from the Orbi WAN port to the modem ethernet port, it doesn't matter how many pieces of cable it takes.  For example:

Orbi WAN port--<ethernet patch cable>--RJ45 jack--<ethernet cable in wall>-- patch panel RJ45 port --<ethernet patch cable--> modem ethernet port.

Message 3 of 4
Naskar_SP
Aspirant

That’s what I want!

Thank you very much!
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation