Reply

Connect three Orbis in-line

BraveDaveNYC
Luminary

Connect three Orbis in-line

Hi folks,

 

I have RBR50 router and RBS40 satellite. They work ok, but are a bit too far apart.

So I'm adding an RBW30 in between.

 

How do I create a daisy-chain where:

RBS40 satellite >>connects to>> (new)RBW30 mini satellite >>connects to>> RBR50 router

 

They seem to insist on the two satellites connecting to the router (hub and spoke-like).

 

How can I force my desired connections?

 

Thanks

 

 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Connect three Orbis in-line


@BraveDaveNYC wrote:

I have RBR50 router and RBS40 satellite. They work ok, but are a bit too far apart.

So I'm adding an RBW30 in between.

How do I create a daisy-chain where:

RBS40 satellite >>connects to>> (new)RBW30 mini satellite >>connects to>> RBR50 router

 

They seem to insist on the two satellites connecting to the router (hub and spoke-like).


There is no simple mechanism to force an Orbi satellite to connect to a specific device. (Just as there is no mechanism to force a WiFi device to connect to a particular Orbi unit.)

 

One requirement is that "Daisy Chain" must be enabled on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings (about 2/3 down the page).  This is the default setting, so it may already be set.

 

My guess is that the RBS40 "remembers" being connected directly to the router.  I would delete the RBS40.  Make sure that the RBW30 is working correctly and then "add" the RBS40 again.

I love my Orbi.
Message 2 of 10
DeanB1452
Luminary

Re: Connect three Orbis in-line

Log into your router through the web interface and go to wireless settings in advanced setup.  You should see a box in backhaul topology to enable daisy-chain topology.  Your router will choose the best option based on signal strength and may daisy-chain or connect to each one directly.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connect three Orbis in-line

https://kb.netgear.com/000048458/What-is-daisy-chain-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
https://kb.netgear.com/000048460/How-do-I-disable-daisy-chain-topology-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
https://kb.netgear.com/000048459/How-can-I-see-if-my-Orbi-WiFi-System-is-using-daisy-chain

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM1200 Modem |  Wifi Router Orbi RBK752 (Router Mode), Wired Backhaul and R8500 with Orbi RBKE963 (AP Mode), | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700

Message 4 of 10
BraveDaveNYC
Luminary

Re: Connect three Orbis in-line

@CrimpOn 

  
Thanks.

That's a very sensible solution. But alas, it hasn't worked.


I depowered the RBW40, and removed it from the Attached Devices (which properly showed it as "Disconnected"). Upon repowering the satellite, it goes through it's pulsing-white startup, then off completely. Then the ring turns blue. Connected?!?! Refreshing the Attached Devices configuration again shows that the satellite reconnected to the RBW50 router.

 

So... I factory-reset the RBW40 satellite. Forget that router, Orbi satellite! Then powered it up. And it still connects to the RBW50 router! I've attempted this three times -- same result. WTF?!?!


BTW... Enable Daisy-Chain Topology was and is still enabled.

 

Thoughts?

 

(Thanks also, @FURRYe38 @ @DeanB1452 )

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Connect three Orbis in-line


@BraveDaveNYC wrote:

So... I factory-reset the RBW40 satellite. Forget that router, Orbi satellite! Then powered it up. And it still connects to the RBW50 router! I've attempted this three times -- same result. WTF?!?!

BTW... Enable Daisy-Chain Topology was and is still enabled.


There may be a discrepency between "They work ok, but are a bit too far apart".  As @FURRYe38 commented, the Orbi will decide which configuration it prefers.  One technique that I often employ is to look at the actual backhaul status between router and satellite.

 

Activate Telnet on the Orbi Router.
    Connect to the Orbi debug page: http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm
    Check the box "Enable Telnet"
Open a telnet program and connect to the router.
    (Windows has a telnet program that can be enabled from the Control Panel: "Programs and Features"
    It is a "feature" on the left hand side
    I personally use the free PuTTY program because I telnet to several computers on my LAN and PuTTY
    allows me to define each of them and connect simply by clicking on their name.)

Log into the router using the regular admin credentials: "admin" and password.

Type the command: satelliteinfo wifi

This is how my two satellites show up:

root@RBR50:/# satelliteinfo wifi
{
"mac address" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx",
"hop" : "1",
"bridge mac" : "A0:04:xx:xx:xx:xx",
"backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
"backhaul rssi" : "-68",
"backhaul macaddress" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "780",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "780",
"backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx"
},
{
"mac address" : "14:59:C0:xx:xx:xx",
"hop" : "1",
"bridge mac" : "14:59:C0:xx:xx:xx",
"backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
"backhaul rssi" : "-59",
"backhaul macaddress" : "",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "866",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "650",
"backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx"
}

Would be interesting to see what Orbi reports about your two satellites.

I love my Orbi.
Message 6 of 10
BraveDaveNYC
Luminary

Re: Connect three Orbis in-line

Oops. I've been saying I was working with an RBW40 satellite.

It's actually an RBS50v2. 

The router is RBR50v2.

 

Anyway... the rest of the description of the problems still holds.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Connect three Orbis in-line


@BraveDaveNYC wrote:

Oops. I've been saying I was working with an RBW40 satellite.

It's actually an RBS50v2. 

The router is RBR50v2.

Anyway... the rest of the description of the problems still holds.


The major difference between the"50" series Orbi and the other models is the 50's use an entirely different 5G radio & antenna for the backhaul connection, which has a maximum link rate of 1,733mb (rather than the 866mb maximum rate of the "user facing" 5G radio.

The RBS50 satellite probably prefers to link directly to the RBR50 router than to the (slower) RB30W wall plug satellite.

I love my Orbi.
Message 8 of 10
S-G
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Connect three Orbis in-line

I've had the Orbi RBR20 and two RBW30 satellites for 2 years now, and have the same issue, where the furthest satellite will prefer to connect poorly to the router rather than daisy chain with good connection to the middle satellite. Rebooting the far satellite solves the issue for about an hour, but then it reverts to the poorer connection with the router. Netgear's software just has no option to enforce daisy chain, and I've been experiencing subpar connections this whole time, with slow speeds and disconnecting smartplugs. I can't move the far satellite any further away, and I can't get away with just one satellite either. Sorry for not being to help, the lack of control options in Netgear's Orbi is hopeless.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connect three Orbis in-line

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite


@S-G wrote:

I've had the Orbi RBR20 and two RBW30 satellites for 2 years now, and have the same issue, where the furthest satellite will prefer to connect poorly to the router rather than daisy chain with good connection to the middle satellite. Rebooting the far satellite solves the issue for about an hour, but then it reverts to the poorer connection with the router. Netgear's software just has no option to enforce daisy chain, and I've been experiencing subpar connections this whole time, with slow speeds and disconnecting smartplugs. I can't move the far satellite any further away, and I can't get away with just one satellite either. Sorry for not being to help, the lack of control options in Netgear's Orbi is hopeless.


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM1200 Modem |  Wifi Router Orbi RBK752 (Router Mode), Wired Backhaul and R8500 with Orbi RBKE963 (AP Mode), | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 884 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E