Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect to Spectrum

duffbelfort
Tutor

Connect to Spectrum

Hello I have a Hitron Modem E31N2V1. I cannot connect the Orbi directly and get internet. I can connect direct with an ethernet connection and with a old Apple router. Is there a trick to make this work?

Thanks in advanced.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
duffbelfort
Tutor

Re: Connect to Spectrum

Got it to work. You cannot acces the GUI of Hitron. Spectrum locks it down. Thanks to @CrimpOn who gave me some good ideas to start. 

This is what I did.

1. Powered off Hitron 
  2. Waited 30 Seconds
  3. Restarted the Hitron modem and waited for it to settle.
  4. Plugged in my laptop directly to the modem.
  5. Waited for an ip
  6. Went to my browser and typed https://registration.rr.com/ .This seems to unstick the mac address.
  7. Then typed in my account
  8. Powered down the modem for 30 seconds
  9. Restarted the modem waiting for it to settle
  10. Plugged in my Orbi
  11. Then went to the Orbi admin page, selected internet, kept defaults and hit test.
  12. All working now.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@duffbelfort wrote:

Hello I have a Hitron Modem E31N2V1. I cannot connect the Orbi directly and get internet. I can connect direct with an ethernet connection and with a old Apple router. Is there a trick to make this work?

Thanks in advanced.

Your Hitron Modem E31N2V1 has wifi built in.  Therefore you now have 2 devices that can act as routers.  One will need to be configured as an access point.  Lots of discussion in here on the subject.  The search is your friend.

Message 2 of 8
duffbelfort
Tutor

Not sure if that statement is correct. I was told by Spectrum that the Hitron is just a modem. Yes I do not want to have a double NAT. Even if that was the case I should still get internet connection. Yes I have done search but have not found the answer. Any other suggestions? 

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@duffbelfort wrote:

Any other suggestions? 

Yes...call Spectrum back.  

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@duffbelfort wrote:

I have an E31T2V1 from Spectrum, which is definitely a modem with telephony.  No router.  No WiFi.  If there are no LAN ports on the back besides the yellow port to connect the Orbi to, it is surely not a router.

When you connect directly to the modem with an ethernet cable to a (laptop? desktop?), what IP address does the modem assign to your device?  Sometimes, modems get "stuck" on the MAC address that they think should be connected and refuse to talk to any other.  I have seen advice to power off both the modem and Orbi.  Power on the modem and wait for it to "settle" with all lights on steady.  Then, power on the Orbi.  If your modem is like mine (except "N" where mine is "T"), it had convenient LED's on the ethernet jack that show connection status and traffic.  (Alas, Netgear cheaped out on the Orbi and did not put LED's on the ethernet jacks.)

Message 5 of 8
duffbelfort
Tutor

Thanks for the tips. I will try when I get home and post any changes. 

Message 6 of 8
duffbelfort
Tutor

Got it to work. You cannot acces the GUI of Hitron. Spectrum locks it down. Thanks to @CrimpOn who gave me some good ideas to start. 

This is what I did.

1. Powered off Hitron 
  2. Waited 30 Seconds
  3. Restarted the Hitron modem and waited for it to settle.
  4. Plugged in my laptop directly to the modem.
  5. Waited for an ip
  6. Went to my browser and typed https://registration.rr.com/ .This seems to unstick the mac address.
  7. Then typed in my account
  8. Powered down the modem for 30 seconds
  9. Restarted the modem waiting for it to settle
  10. Plugged in my Orbi
  11. Then went to the Orbi admin page, selected internet, kept defaults and hit test.
  12. All working now.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos