Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect two different Orbi RBR23 sets together

Kingknoest
Aspirant

Connect two different Orbi RBR23 sets together

Hi everybody,

I've got a question regarding to combine two different sets of Orbi RBR32 together.I have two sets, One with 1 router and 2 satelites and an additional one with 1 router and 1 satelite.

Basically I bought the second set with the assumption to just add the extra satelite and not use the router. But I have also read somewhere the second router can be used as an extra AP as long as you place it far away from the DHCP router and use channel 1 and 11 of both devices.

But the problem is that I can't seem to connect the other satelite to the first system. They do not sync, what ever I try. Not by cable, not by setting them next to each other, not by trying to add them trough orbilogin, nothing.

Is it possible to add a satelite from the same version (RBR23) from another set? If so, how? Thanks for input here!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Connect two different Orbi RBR23 sets together

@Kingknoest wrote:

Basically I bought the second set with the assumption to just add the extra satelite and not use the router. But I have also read somewhere the second router can be used as an extra AP as long as you place it far away from the DHCP router and use channel 1 and 11 of both devices.

But the problem is that I can't seem to connect the other satelite to the first system. They do not sync, what ever I try. Not by cable, not by setting them next to each other, not by trying to add them trough orbilogin, nothing.

Is it possible to add a satelite from the same version (RBR23) from another set? If so, how? Thanks for input here!

Yes, the satellite should connect to the first system.  I would do a "Factory Reset" on that new satellite and then use the Orbi web interface "Add a Satellite" menu option. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

The second router can never become an Access Point (AP).  It can be connected with an ethernet cable and be used as a separate WiFi network.  Thus, the initial plan was correct: the second router is a spare.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kingknoest wrote:

Yes, the satellite should connect to the first system.  I would do a "Factory Reset" on that new satellite and then use the Orbi web interface "Add a Satellite" menu option. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

The second router can never become an Access Point (AP).  It can be connected with an ethernet cable and be used as a separate WiFi network.  Thus, the initial plan was correct: the second router is a spare.

Message 2 of 3
Kingknoest
Aspirant

Thx a lot, that simple factory reset did the trick! I'll keep the router as backup, as originally intented, or maybe a separate network if needed.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7