Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connected but no internet

Gebla
Apprentice

Connected but no internet

In the past i made a split into a ssid on 2.4 and a ssid to 5 ghz because i had a problem with several devices on 5 ghz. On 5 ghz devices show connected to wifi but they get no or very slow internet.
On recommendations by Netgear i did a reset and new setup yesterday. Last night my tv (now on 5) during netflix streaming showed buffering 4 times, on 2.4 it never showed buffering. And this morning 2 different phones had no internet. Both phones where powered on during the night. Only after wifi off and on and a few minutes later the phones suddenly get internet again.
Additionally one laptop (Surface Book 1) had issues getting internet on 5 Ghz.

All the internet issues did not exist when the devices connect to 2.4.

So my wifi system is crap and does not work reliable on 5 ghz.

I do not want to do all kind of basic diagnose as i have done it already and on 2.4 i have no issues. I am happy to create log fikes for you. Please instruct me how to collect these log files.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Connected but no internet

Would be nice if there were log files.  There is a "debug" file that can be created (from the "debug" web page:  //http:<orbi ip>/debug.htm), but I have no idea how to make sense of it.

Can you please clarify:  At one time, your Orbi WiFi names (SSID's) were "split", where 2.4G had one name (SSID) and 5G had a different SSID.  After talking to Netgear and doing a reset, is this still the case?  (As far as I know, this will be a "first" for Netgear to advise a customer to create different SSID's for 2.4G and 5G.  Will be exciting news on the forum!)

Alas, the community forum is just a collection of Orbi owners who (for one reason or another) have decided to participate.  We have no idea what steps people have taken previously, and bring various perspectives and backgrounds.  The forum is NOT "Netgear Support."  Far from it.  We are the people whose 90 days of free support have run out and try to find solutions collectively.  I, for example, am "too cheap" to sign up for GearHead. https://gearhead.netgear.com

So far, forum participants have solve most of my problems, and I am really fortunate.

A lot of Orbi problems seem to have come up before for other owners.  If we could summarize, the problem seems to be that with the new configuration, devices connect at 5G and performance is worse than when they conneced at 2.4G?

Message 2 of 30
Gebla
Apprentice

Netgear did not recommend splitting the ssid. I tried itmyself. From this forum I thought Netgear recommended to reset the system to remove the split.
On 2.4 ghz no problems. On 5 ghz i have problems with video stream and getting data after device wake up.
Good to know that this is not a Netgear website. I will raise support case with Netgear.
Message 3 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

NG does not support the separation or splitting of the SSID. 

Has a power OFF of the ISP modem and Orbi for 30 seconds then back on with the modem first then the Orbi after that? 

How about a factory rest and walk thru the Orbi setup wizard...

@Gebla wrote:
In the past i made a split into a ssid on 2.4 and a ssid to 5 ghz because i had a problem with several devices on 5 ghz. On 5 ghz devices show connected to wifi but they get no or very slow internet.
On recommendations by Netgear i did a reset and new setup yesterday. Last night my tv (now on 5) during netflix streaming showed buffering 4 times, on 2.4 it never showed buffering. And this morning 2 different phones had no internet. Both phones where powered on during the night. Only after wifi off and on and a few minutes later the phones suddenly get internet again.
Additionally one laptop (Surface Book 1) had issues getting internet on 5 Ghz.

All the internet issues did not exist when the devices connect to 2.4.

So my wifi system is crap and does not work reliable on 5 ghz.

I do not want to do all kind of basic diagnose as i have done it already and on 2.4 i have no issues. I am happy to create log fikes for you. Please instruct me how to collect these log files.

Message 4 of 30
Gebla
Apprentice

Tried everything already. Distance between devices is good. Latest firmware 2.something and did factory reset yesterday.
It is the crap firmware of netgear.
Message 5 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

So what is the distance between the RBR and RBS, specifically? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

Please try the suggestions presented. 

Message 6 of 30
Gebla
Apprentice

RBR and SBS are about 10 meters apart and SBS and SB are 10 meters apart. Both wired into the RBR.

Message 7 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Are the RBS directly connect to the RBR or are they connect to a LAN switch then to the RBR? What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration?

Is Daisy Chain disabled? 

Are you getting internet at the RBR and not the RBS or the entire system doesn't get internet? 

Message 8 of 30
Gebla
Apprentice

Daisy chain is enabled and I now reduced the system from 3  RBS to 1 RBS directly wired into the RBR. Still issues with 5 GHZ. Next step is moving the wired RBS into a non wired connection to the RBR and see if it will work.

Got in contact with Netgear support but they refuse warranty because I used Telnet on the devices (even after me doing factory reset support is declined). Unfortunately my experience with Netgear is now even worse. I got a bad product that does not work and they refuse warranty. Go Netgear!

Message 9 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable Daisy chain if your RBS are ethernet connected. 

Message 10 of 30
Gebla
Apprentice

Modem is from Ziggo latest connect box set to bridge mode. Disable daisy chain makes no change
Message 11 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this, factory reset the RBR while its disconnected from the modem. Configure your modem for router mode, not bridge mode. Configure the RBR or AP mode, after applying the change, connect the WAN port of the RBR in AP mode to the modem in router mode. Does this work? 

What did you do with the RBRs telnet? I wouldn't think that would void the warranty. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 12 of 30
Gebla
Apprentice

I had the same idea this afternoon and changed the RBR to AP mode. I did not do a factory reset. Will try the reset when this does not work. I will know tomorrow morning.

With telnet i created a ssid for 2.4 and 5 to ensure that all devices connect to 2.4 and 5 is no longer used. These settings are now removed because of the factory reset. The warranty person I spoke to did not know what Telnet is but decided that i changed the product.
Message 13 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya separation of the SSID isn't supported on Orbi. 

Message 14 of 30
Gebla
Apprentice

I know that it is not supported but after factory reset these settings are gone and I would expect normal warranty procedure.
Message 15 of 30
Gebla
Apprentice

Changing to AP seems to resolve the difficulty to connect after wake up. However I still have intermittant no data issue. During browsing suddenly pages are not loaded anymore and streams show buffering. I changed preamble to long but no effect.
Message 16 of 30
ekhalil
Master

@Gebla wrote:
Changing to AP seems to resolve the difficulty to connect after wake up. .....

Do you mean that you tried to set Orbi to AP Mode and that gave you an improvement?

You mentioned earlier that you have your Ziggo router bridged, correct? If Orbi is now in AP Mode and Ziggo is bridged, which box is proving routing functionalities in your network now? 🙂

Message 17 of 30
Gebla
Apprentice

Sorry to be not clear enough,
1. I did a reset of Ziggo modem/router and the Ziggo is now routing with dhcp
2. I did a reset of RBR and RBS and chbaged to AP mode
3. Last night I removed all wire backhaul from the RBR and RBS to create a wireless backhaul.

Today I will be testing this setup. If it does not work I will sent back the devices for repair.
Message 18 of 30
Gebla
Apprentice

The orbi starts performing much better without a wired backhaul.
I used the satellite and router with wired backhaul and as switch (several devices hardwired into the rbr and rbs). Causing many problems on 5G
I removed all wires except for the internet connection and use the setup as AP. Now devices connect and data throughput seems more stable.

This looks like a real firmare issue. For the Netgear price it only delivers half of the functionality.
Message 19 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Message 20 of 30
Gebla
Apprentice

There was no switch.
Old:
Modem into rbr, 3 wires connected to rbr. 2 of these wired directly to rbs. One rbs had 4 devices connected wired other rbs one device.
Message 21 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the condidtion of the LAN cables between the RBR and RBS? Quality of cables could be a cause also.
CAT#? CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 22 of 30
Gebla
Apprentice

Cat6 and checked with UTP cable checker. With a normal switch now connected it is working cor all devices.
Message 23 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

With a normal switch? This external swithc connected between the RBR and RBS? 

Message 24 of 30
Gebla
Apprentice

Old setup with Orbi as DHCP (and with problems on 5Ghz)

Ziggo modem -> Wired -> RBR -> Wired RBS -> Wired to 4 devices

-> Wired RBS -> Wired to one device

-> Wired PC

New setup with Orbi as AP

Ziggo Modem->Wired PC

->Wired switch -> Wired to 4 devices

->Wired RBR -> Wireless RBS

-> Wireless RBS

No switch to the ORbi system.

I still have problems that sometimes data throughput stops but it deos receover now. When that happens it seems that the device is switching between access points.

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7