Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connected devices list

TedHL
Tutor

Connected devices list

I am curious how reliable the connected devices list is for the ORBI. I have 8 SONOS devices connected to my network.  I have network scanners that run on my iPhone and my iMac that reliably find all 8 of the SONOS devices. However, the connected devices listed on orbilogin.com rarely show one of the devices while it seens to reliablly list the other 7. The one that almost never shows is a SONOS:SUB. I haven't the foggiest idea what is different about the SONOS:SUB that would cause this to happen. Especially when the other network scanners find it every time. All of the SONOS devices work perfectly on the ORBI network (including the SUB). 

Thanks

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Connected devices list

Hello TedHL

If that sonos device is connected to a satellite unit you may want to log into the Ip address of the satellite and check its connected devices.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 10
TedHL
Tutor

There is actually only one connection to my network for the SONOS devices. That is a direct wired connection from a SONOS : BOOST to the main ORBI unit. The other SONOS devices connect through the SONOS : BOOST.

All of the SONOS devices show as a wired connection in the ORBI Connected Devices list because of the wired SONOS : BOOST connection. That is what is strange about the SONOS : SUB. It connects the same as all of the other SONOS stuff through the BOOST and the ORBI list reliably lists all of them except for the SUB. 

Go figure...

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

When you say "reliably", do you mean that sometimes that device shows up and other times it does not show up?  I have some IP cameras that all come into the Orbi through a single wired port, and ONE of the cameras "appears" and "disappears" from the Connected Devices list.

Message 4 of 10
TedHL
Tutor

That is correct. Sometimes it will show in the Connected Devices list but most of the time it doesn't. All of the other SONOS devices show up all of the time. The SONOS : SUB is connected as it works just fine. It also allways shows up in the network scanning software I have on my Mac and iPhone.

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

It looks like we have similar situations.  It would help if someone from Netgear would explain HOW the Orbi "knows" that a wired device is connected.  I know that ordinary ethernet devices (i.e. hubs, switches, ports) can sense electrically that something on the other end of the ethernet cable has put voltage on the wires, and are "on".  They usually light up an LED as an indication.  (They even blink LED's when traffic goes through.)  However, if the ethernet port is connected to another hub or switch, all that can be sensed electrically is THAT device is turned on, not any devices further down the line.

So, if the Orbi cannot sense electrically that devices are "on", what is the mechanism that Orbi uses to detect WIRED connected devices?

Message 6 of 10
TedHL
Tutor

Isn't ther some type of keep alive activity for each device whether it is really doing anything or not? Just a guess.

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

My Orbi just updated itself to 1.10.1.2 and my IP cameras appear to be staying "attached."  However, I now have a Tablet running Android 7.1.2 that "comes and goes."

I was hoping a networking geek would chime in with, "here's how routers know what is attached."

Message 8 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello CrimpOn

Do you noticed the tablet dropping in certain areas of your home closer to the main satellite or the router? 

DarrenM

Message 9 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

I keep this particular tablet on the second floor by my bed, so it stays in the same place all the time.  It is actually about 12 ft. from the router which is also on the second floor, and about 12 ft. from the downstairs satellite.  There are more walls and the floor between the tablet and the satellite.   I don't think it ever connects to the satellite.  I'm usually looking at the "connected" list on the router, which shows all the devices, whereas the Satellite shows only the devices connected ot it.

Thanks for asking.  (This device, of course, is connected via WiFi, so my being "wires" vs. WiFi does not appear to be significant.)

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7