Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting 2.4Ghz devices to RBR50

Jwbpilot
Aspirant

Connecting 2.4Ghz devices to RBR50

My Orbi RBR50is only 6 weeks old.  When I installed it, I was able to connect all my devices EASILY, even 2.4.Ghz devices.  This week I had to change my WiFi password which the required me to RECONNECT all my devices.  Several, Roku, garage doors, Alexa, security, thermostats etc.   NOW the devices which REQUIRE a 2.4Ghz SSID will not connect on my Mesh band.  

Was as there a firmware or update that changed something?  I’ve read the work around, turning off satellite and lowering power on 5.0Ghz band, but I’m out of town and haven’t tried yet.  Also I watched the posted YouTube video to break out the 2.4Ghz band. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEgVG8rR5o8 ) and May have to try that.

I am hoping there is an explanation to why now 6 weeks later I am having such an issue,what changed AND

are there any updated solutions since bulletin board post from Dec. 2018 that I found.

thank you,

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connecting 2.4Ghz devices to RBR50

What Firmware is currently loaded?

To get 2.4Ghz devices connected, you should have changed the PW on the client devices first, then changed the PW on the RBR lastly. However to get them setup again, try turning off the 5Ghz SSID broadcast temporarily, then setup the devices. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. You won't need to lower the power on the 5Ghz radio or separate SSIDs. 

This is NOT an issue with the Orbi, rather a problem with the client devices setup software not allowing the setup device, like a phone, to be connected to a 5Ghz signal while the other Mfr device only connects to a 2.4Ghz signal and allowing the setup process to work across the two radios since both ARE on the same network. This is a fault of the devices Mfr and there software. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Jwbpilot wrote:

My Orbi RBR50is only 6 weeks old.  When I installed it, I was able to connect all my devices EASILY, even 2.4.Ghz devices.  This week I had to change my WiFi password which the required me to RECONNECT all my devices.  Several, Roku, garage doors, Alexa, security, thermostats etc.   NOW the devices which REQUIRE a 2.4Ghz SSID will not connect on my Mesh band.  

This brinigs up a subject that I had not considered, "How do IoT devices learn of a changed SSID and/or password?"  With my cameras, there is a user interface to select a new WiFi, but I'm not certain that would even work.  i.e. if I go in and change to a WiFi that does not exist, will the change "take"?  (Or, would I just immediately lose contact with the device and find out later whether it connects?)  Things like Smart Plugs?  Wow!  Would I actually have to walk around and press the "reset" button on every one of them and go through the whole setup from scratch?

Oh, geez.  No new SSID or password in MY future!

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Some IoT devices may have built in web pages that users can access before changes are made to the main SSID and PW configurations. I.E. cameras. If users have this option, then they can make changes to the IoT devices first. If the IoT devices don't have this ability, then I presume a reset and setup from scratch maybe needed. 

Message 4 of 6
Jwbpilot
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply, you make it sound so easy.... 🙂  

I am familiar with "Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings" but I do not remember seeing a way to turn OFF the 5.0Ghz SSID.  If I had that would have been a great solution.  Can you screen shot or vector me into where to do that.

I have firmeware: 2.3.1.60 installed on my RBR50.

I agree with this not being an ORBI 'fault' but I am not interested in who's fault it is, rather I need to be able to connect my 2.4GHZ devices, of which we all know there are still a lot of out in the world.

Thank you again.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Look for the enable 5Ghz SSID broadcast setting. There is a check box. This will have a check in the box already. Remove the check then save or apply the setting. Reboot maybe needed. 

@Jwbpilot wrote:

Thank you for the reply, you make it sound so easy.... 🙂  

I am familiar with "Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings" but I do not remember seeing a way to turn OFF the 5.0Ghz SSID.  If I had that would have been a great solution.  Can you screen shot or vector me into where to do that.

I have firmeware: 2.3.1.60 installed on my RBR50.

I agree with this not being an ORBI 'fault' but I am not interested in who's fault it is, rather I need to be able to connect my 2.4GHZ devices, of which we all know there are still a lot of out in the world.

Thank you again.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7