Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting HP 8710 wireless (ORBI) printer from FIOS Router connected device

bdotn
Aspirant

Connecting HP 8710 wireless (ORBI) printer from FIOS Router connected device

All - I recently bought the ORBi Router and two satellites to fix some Verizon FIOS deadspots in the house.  Works great !!  Netflix downloads are wicked fast.  Anyways, I set up my HP8710 wireless printer on ORBI and works great, no problems.   However, I have a work laptop and a gaming desktop with a wired LAN connection to the FIOS Router.  How can I bridge the FIOS connections to work with my printer on the ORBI wireless ?

Can I turn wireless back on the FIOS router ?  (Assuming my printer can support two wireless networks ?)

Is there a way to "tunnel" from the FIOS router to the ORBI router and print wirelessly ?

I know I can go wireless on the laptop and desktop but since they are located 1 ft from the FIOS router, hate to make that change.

BTW - not a technician though I pretend to play one on TV sometimes.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connecting HP 8710 wireless (ORBI) printer from FIOS Router connected device

The FIOS and Orbi are on two different submets that you can't communicate accross. You need to get the game and laptop PCs connects on the same subnet as the printer. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. Connect ALL devices to the Orbi router. 
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode. Connect ALL devices to the Orbi router. 
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. Connect ALL devices to the Orbi router or FIOS router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 5
bdotn
Aspirant

Re: Connecting HP 8710 wireless (ORBI) printer from FIOS Router connected device

Thanks.  I am going to call FIOS and explore their support.  otherwise, I'll go all wireless.  I will udate the post when I learn more.

Message 3 of 5
bdotn
Aspirant

ahhh I need my head examined.  I unplugged the wired connections to the FIOS router and replugged them into the wired connections on the Orbi router.  SUCCESS !!!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

That works too. You can use that configuration. 

IF your don't bridge the FIOS, i would use the FIOS DMZ for the Orbi router if your using it in router mode. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7