Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting LTE Router to Orbi

BrianG56
Aspirant

Connecting LTE Router to Orbi

I bought a new Mofi Modem & Wireless Router that is using AT&T LTE.  The modem and wifi work great on their own but I cannot get my Orbi to join the network.  I have shut everything down, restarted the Modem and the Orbi RB50 with the WAN connected to the WAN for both.  Nothing.  I then attempted to connect it WAN on Orbi to LAN on Modem.  Nothing.

Any advice as I assume it in a setting on either the Mobi or the Orbi.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

First, the basics:

There may be more than one Mofi LTE modem/router.  I found the User Guide for the Mofi 4500.  Page 8 indicates that the WAN port is to connect a cable or DLS modem (i.e. not use the LTE capability.  Or, perhaps it is designed to use LTE as "failover" if the primary modem fails.)

So, the Orbi's WAN (yellow) port should be connected to one of the Mofi's LAN ports.

The Mofi is a combination modem/router/WiFi device.  What should happen when the Orbi is connected to the Mofi is the Orbi will connect and get an IP address from the Mofi.  Acting as a router, the Orbi will then assign IP addresses to any device which connects to the Orbi, either the LAN ports or the WiFi.

This can create quite a complicated situation.  The Mofi will be broadcasting one WiFi name and the Orbi will be broadcasting a different WiFi name.  Most people would turn off the Mofi WiFi capability, thus reducing the radio interference.  Most people would also want to have only a single router assigning IP addresses.  Either the Mofi needs to be put into "passthrough" mode or the Orbi should be put into Access Point (AP) mode.  Using the Orbi web interface, this is on the Advanced Tab->Advanced Settings->Router/AP Mode.

Diagnosing the problem:

When the Orbi is connected to a Mofi LAN port and powered on, the "Ring Light" at the top should go through a series of colors:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

When the Orbi ring light finally goes out, you should be able to do three things:  (1) on the management interface of the Mofi, the Orbi should appear as a device on the Mofi LAN port, (2) if a computer (PC, Mac, laptop) ethernet cord is connected to one of the Orbi LAN ports, it should reach the internet, and (2) the Orbi should be broadcasting the WiFi name that is printed on the label (on the bottom) and the WiFi password should match what is on the label.

Please let us know if any of this works out in your situation.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If the mini has routing function, you might need the orbi in ap mode.
Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

First, the basics:

There may be more than one Mofi LTE modem/router.  I found the User Guide for the Mofi 4500.  Page 8 indicates that the WAN port is to connect a cable or DLS modem (i.e. not use the LTE capability.  Or, perhaps it is designed to use LTE as "failover" if the primary modem fails.)

So, the Orbi's WAN (yellow) port should be connected to one of the Mofi's LAN ports.

The Mofi is a combination modem/router/WiFi device.  What should happen when the Orbi is connected to the Mofi is the Orbi will connect and get an IP address from the Mofi.  Acting as a router, the Orbi will then assign IP addresses to any device which connects to the Orbi, either the LAN ports or the WiFi.

This can create quite a complicated situation.  The Mofi will be broadcasting one WiFi name and the Orbi will be broadcasting a different WiFi name.  Most people would turn off the Mofi WiFi capability, thus reducing the radio interference.  Most people would also want to have only a single router assigning IP addresses.  Either the Mofi needs to be put into "passthrough" mode or the Orbi should be put into Access Point (AP) mode.  Using the Orbi web interface, this is on the Advanced Tab->Advanced Settings->Router/AP Mode.

Diagnosing the problem:

When the Orbi is connected to a Mofi LAN port and powered on, the "Ring Light" at the top should go through a series of colors:

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

When the Orbi ring light finally goes out, you should be able to do three things:  (1) on the management interface of the Mofi, the Orbi should appear as a device on the Mofi LAN port, (2) if a computer (PC, Mac, laptop) ethernet cord is connected to one of the Orbi LAN ports, it should reach the internet, and (2) the Orbi should be broadcasting the WiFi name that is printed on the label (on the bottom) and the WiFi password should match what is on the label.

Please let us know if any of this works out in your situation.

Message 3 of 5
BrianG56
Aspirant

I will try this later this evening.  I do think the trick is turning off the wofi wireless signal but that did not work either.  Perhaps setting the passthru as the orbi is needed.

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi should connect and function without making any changes to the Mofi (or the Orbi).  Leaving them both in their default configuration simply creates several unnecessary complications that most people choose to eliminate:

1. Because the Mofi and the Orbi are both handing out IP addresses, a device connected directly to the Mofi will not "see" devices which are behind the Orbi.  If you never connect anything besides the Orbi to the Mofi, then this is not an issue.
  2. Becaue the Mofi and Orbi are both routers, this creates what is called a "double NAT" condition, which can lead to definite problems with certain applications, like port forwarding, VPN, etc.  If you don't need any of these, again this is not an issue.
  3. With both the Mofi WiFi network and Orbi WiFi network being broadcast, there is potential for radio interference that reduces the effectiveness of both.  Since the Orbi was purchased to expand the coverage area, it's probably best to turn of the Mofi ratios.

Please report how the experiment goes with both devices being in their default condition.

Good Luck!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7