Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting NAS to Orbi Satellite

WinnerCircle
Aspirant

Connecting NAS to Orbi Satellite

We use Mac and Windows computers in my home.  I just bought Orbi Router and Satellite and want to know how to mount a QNAP NAS via Orbi Satellite.

Prior to using Orbi, I was using Apple Extreme and in this case all I used to do was on my Apple iMac, go to Finder>Go>Connect-to-server and input the following: afp://192.168.1.6.  This process is however not working when I connect my QNAP to the Orbi Satellite via Ethernet and then on my Apple iMac I go to Finder>Go>Connect-to-server and input the following: afp://192.168.1.6.  Am I doing something wrong? Would appreciate any assistance on this.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 10
WinnerCircle
Aspirant

Just to clarify the IP address I gave was an example but I would check the actual IP address and input while attempting to connect to the server.  Also, in the Orbi tool, it recognizes my NAS and shows it in the list of devices connected.

Message 2 of 10

hi

dont know mac at all but on your windows based machine can you access the NAS by just typing \\192.168.1.xxx ( xxx being what ever the dhcp has assigned it to ) in a windows file explorer wondow

Message 3 of 10
WinnerCircle
Aspirant

Yeah, I tried, it still wont connect. I see my NAS in the connected devices list in the Orbi utility but it will not mount as a result of which I cannot access any of the files in the NAS.

Message 4 of 10

@WinnerCircle wrote:

Yeah, I tried, it still wont connect. I see my NAS in the connected devices list in the Orbi utility but it will not mount as a result of which I cannot access any of the files in the NAS.

real NAS units connected via ethernet dont need to mount as the hdd is mounted by the NAS unit

Message 5 of 10
WinnerCircle
Aspirant

In Mac NAS is seen as a server that we connect to using the process shared earlier. As I said it works seamlessly with my Airport Extreme but not so with Orbi and I am not sure why.  I have opened a case with Netgear and they have escalated it to Level 2 technician.   

Message 6 of 10

ok then you are using the wrong terminology as mounting a hdd is defined as a usb thing

Message 7 of 10
WinnerCircle
Aspirant

Sorry, not an expert in network terminology. Thanks for educating me 🙂 

Message 8 of 10
WinnerCircle
Aspirant

By the way my NAS is from QNAP and the model number is TS 459. As shared earlier, my Orbi attached device list shows that this NAS is connected but for some reason, I am unable to access the storage server directly - i.e. even if I typed the IP address in the browser, it just times out.  Appreciate any assistance.  

Message 9 of 10
WinnerCircle
Aspirant

By the way my NAS is from QNAP and the model number is TS 459. As shared earlier, my Orbi attached device list shows that this NAS is connected but for some reason, I am unable to access the storage server directly - i.e. even if I typed the IP address in the browser, it just times out.  Appreciate any assistance.  

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7