Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting Nighthawk 7800 and Orbi

Gurvy
Aspirant

Connecting Nighthawk 7800 and Orbi

Hello,

Have this set up:  Cable Modem>ethernet to R7800>ethernet to Orbi RBR50 router>ethernet extended as mesh to 2 other RBS50 Satellites and wirelessly to Orbi Outdoor.  R7800 also has my different Firestick Connected to it wirelessly.  Reason for the configurations above is to allow the R7800 is flashed and have VPN capability.  Firestick plays various streaming content and I dont need them to be blocked, etc... and they do not work if I go thru VPN, so have them bypassed. I do need my other internet to be protected, hence the reason for the VPN.  

The issue is that I am getting problems with stabilizing the Orbi network.  I have had many instances where the Orbi router loses connectivity to the internet completely and needs to be rebooted.  The R7800 and RBR50 (within 3 feet) are right next to eachother (connected via ethernet Cat5e cable).  RBR50 is in Router mode.

When it works like it should, no problem.  But when it doesnt, throws a huge monkeywrench to the whole plan.

Any thoughts on how to best address this?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router, RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Place the Orbi in AP mode? 

If you're running the R7800 in router mode and the orbi in router mode, it puts you in a double nat and adds complexity to your network. A situation that usually ends poorly.  If you're using the R7800 for its routing capabilities and the orbi mainly for wifi, AP mode should help stabalize the network. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 4
Gurvy
Aspirant

Thanks for the input.  Will the change to AP mode recduce my ability to have the mesh network work to it maximal capacity?  I have 2 interior satellites that are connected by ethernet and 1 outdoor orbi that is linked on wifi connection - will that be affected at all? 

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Nope. the orbi will still act in mesh network capacity and work as just wireless access points (can still use the ethernet ports as well). 

here's the list of things that'll be disabled within orbi. However, it'll still function on your R7800 so its a bit of a moot point.

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7