Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router via Ethernet to Orbi RBK50

audosea
Aspirant

Connecting Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router via Ethernet to Orbi RBK50

Considering purchase ORBI RBK50 to distribute wifi from existing Telstra Nighthawk M1 mobile router. Router located in studio (brick veneer construction plaster lined separated from BV construction house by 8 metres) in a location which will be the future NBN access point - if it ever arrives. Router currently provides wifi connection for Enphase solar monitoring back to their server, and the wifi signal is useless in house. Wish to leave router as is so Enphase system does not require reconfiguring, and plug it into existing CAT 6 cable that runs less than 20 metres into house. Plug Orbi base internet connection into wall plate termination of the previous mentioned cable, then plug one base ethernet connection into another termination plate in same room that has a CAT 6 cable running say 10 metres to house theatre room and then plug the satellite unit in, in the theatre room. In this arrangement would the router still provide it current SSID wifi signal in the studio (and hence to solar system) and the house would have it's own SSID. It would be nice to have the same SSID throughout the house and the studio. Is this possible. I have a reasonably low tech understanding but capable of working through User Manuals. Thanks
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
audosea
Aspirant

Thanks for reply. Having never heard of double NAT I Googled it. Dont play games or do the other things it causes problems with, so expect it wont be an issue. But now I know the solution if problem arises. Over time can try both modes anyhow. Yes, the idea was to move the Orbi router back to base location when NBN arrives. I believe it can serve as a Telstra router and connect straight to NBN equipent (true?), so I wont need Telstra's gateway? Depending on how signal strength works out through the house, another satellite may or may not be needed. It would another pricey add on.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The way you describe it, the Orbi normally would provide a different SSID to the house.  There is a chance (slim?) that the Orbi WiFi will be stronger than the existing WiFi.  i.e. it might penetrate the two brick walls better than the Nighthawk does.  Once installed, see if the Orbi signal is strong enough to support the solar system.  If it is, you could disable the Nighthawk WiFi and set up the Orbi with the Nighthawk's SSID and password.

If the signals do not overlap, you could set up the Orbi with the same SSID and password as the Nighthawk.  When a device moves from one building to the other, it would be like a device moving from one city to another and finding WiFi with the same SSID and password.

Message 2 of 5
audosea
Aspirant

Thanks for reply. There definitely will be signal overlap in the house, but the Orbi signal may not reach the studio. I believe/but not certain the ethernet connection out of the Nighthawk can provide the internet signal to the Orbi, but I am not savvy enough to know whether the Nighthawk can continue to provide it's own wifi output, or does it need reconfiguring to be a source to the Orbi only. Can live with 2 SSIDs.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Ethernet goes 90 meters over Cat6 cable.  I am pretty confident that the Orbi will get internet through the Nighthawk router.

One thing to consider:  it is generally not a good idea to have two routers "back to back".  It is certainly possible (I did it for two years with no problems.)  However, there are specific situations where the two routers create what is called a "double NAT" situation and specific applications do not work. 

I think the general recommendation would be to put the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode.  There will be only one router (the Nighthawk).  The Nighthawk will provide IP addresses to all devices, in that building and everything connected to the Orbi.

Another thing to consider when the NBN service arrives is moving the Orbi router to that location and adding another satellite in the house. The NBN could be in "modem only" mode and the Orbi would provide router functions.  The Nighthawk will be gone, so some router needs to take its place.

Message 4 of 5
audosea
Aspirant

Thanks for reply. Having never heard of double NAT I Googled it. Dont play games or do the other things it causes problems with, so expect it wont be an issue. But now I know the solution if problem arises. Over time can try both modes anyhow. Yes, the idea was to move the Orbi router back to base location when NBN arrives. I believe it can serve as a Telstra router and connect straight to NBN equipent (true?), so I wont need Telstra's gateway? Depending on how signal strength works out through the house, another satellite may or may not be needed. It would another pricey add on.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7