Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting Orbi RBR50 to existing Orbi AC3000 network for configuration

weldjame311
Aspirant

Connecting Orbi RBR50 to existing Orbi AC3000 network for configuration

Recently was given a RBR50 router. Tried to hook up on a newly installed router. Saw the SSID but could not connect in order to configure. Would like to see if I need to do a factory reset.

Can I hook up the "new/used" RBR50 via ethernet to existing RBR50/RBS50 network??  Different SSID (Orbi68) on exisitng network Router vs. SSID on "new/old" router (Orbi97).

Please advise. Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
weldjame311
Aspirant

Re: Connecting Orbi RBR50 to existing Orbi AC3000 network for configuration

Thanks for all the support.

In the end, the solution was to disconnect the existing Orbi network and substitute the RBR50 Mesh Router I received from my friend.

Took awhile plus resetting the unit to factory settings, but in the end I was able to get it to work.  Now I will take it back into NYC and hope it plugs-and-plays.  One of the major barriers was that new laptops do not make come with CAT-5 jacks built in.  Connection with an ethernet cable might have made the reset faster/easier.

In the end, all's well that ends well.  Thanks for the support. Orbi's are still the best.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@weldjame311 wrote:

Can I hook up the "new/used" RBR50 via ethernet to existing RBR50/RBS50 network??  Different SSID (Orbi68) on exisitng network Router vs. SSID on "new/old" router (Orbi97).

The answer has three parts:

1. Yes, you can connect an RBR50 to an existing Orbi system, BUT
  2. No, it is not going to do what you want, which is to become "another satellite" on the Orbi network.  That CANNOT HAPPEN.
  3. The RBR50 MUST be connected to the existing Orbi using an ethernet cable, which is usually impractical.

If the RBR50 is simply connected and set to "router" mode, then it will create an entirely different WiFi network that has no integration with the existing Orbi.  You could give this new Orbi system the same SSID as the existing one, but it will be a nightmare.

If the RBR50 is set to "access point" (AP) mode, then devices will at least get their IP address from the base system and there will not be a "Double NAT" situation, BUT this new AP will not be integrated into the Orbi network.  Devices will not automatically switch from one Orbi to the other as they move around as they can on the original Orbi.

The new router (set in access point mode) could be really useful (if you can connect it with an ethernet cable) IF you have some WiFi devices which do not move (security cameras, doorbells, tv's, pool controllers, garage door controllers, etc.).

So, basically, you have a SPARE Orbi router in case your existing one breaks.

Message 2 of 5
weldjame311
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick reply.

Actually, what I am hoping to do is to test whether the "new/ord" router (SSID 97) A) can attach to the internet (when previously tried I could not get it to do so) or B) must be factory reset to allow me to confogiure it to connect to the internet (e.g., by removing some setting the previous owner forgot to remove before giving it to me).

In either case, once I have the "new/old" router configured (or not) I will disconnect it and take back to our city apartment (which has not Orbi at present.

Does this clarify?

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@weldjame311 wrote:

Does this clarify?

Thanks for explaining.  Makes perfect sense.  So, yes, connect this router to any port on the base Orbi unit and it should connect to the internet.  A "Factory Reset" certainly cannot hurt anything, and will clear out any settings that have been made in the past.

Good Luck

Message 4 of 5
weldjame311
Aspirant

Thanks for all the support.

In the end, the solution was to disconnect the existing Orbi network and substitute the RBR50 Mesh Router I received from my friend.

Took awhile plus resetting the unit to factory settings, but in the end I was able to get it to work.  Now I will take it back into NYC and hope it plugs-and-plays.  One of the major barriers was that new laptops do not make come with CAT-5 jacks built in.  Connection with an ethernet cable might have made the reset faster/easier.

In the end, all's well that ends well.  Thanks for the support. Orbi's are still the best.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7