Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting Orbi's via LAN cable

Connecting Orbi's via LAN cable

Is it possible to connect two Orbi's via a LAN cable?  I was reading and saw that the Linksys Velop has the capability to configure the ports to either a WAN or LAN.  Reason I am asking is that my modem and base unit are separated via a concrete wall from the satellite unit.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 12

@fedxdelivered wrote:

Is it possible to connect two Orbi's via a LAN cable?  I was reading and saw that the Linksys Velop has the capability to configure the ports to either a WAN or LAN.  Reason I am asking is that my modem and base unit are separated via a concrete wall from the satellite unit.

the answer at this stage is no , the response from netgear dev team is they are working on it but no time frame or certainty  of release

also why bother with any mesh / DW system if you already have structured ethernet in place , just do what makes the most sense and run a wireless access point

Message 2 of 12

The reason, why I am going with a mesh system, is that I want there to be just one network I can connect to.  With access points/extenders, you need to set up a separate SSID and they don't boost the same signal strength as a router or a Orbi satellite.  This is all from personal experience.  I got the Orbi a couple of days ago and have noticed a significant difference.  My train of thought was to have the two Orbi's connected via an ethernet cord and then boost the signal to the rest of the house from the satellite since the main Orbi is in a half surrounded concrete room.

Message 3 of 12

@fedxdelivered wrote:

With access points/extenders, you need to set up a separate SSID and they don't boost the same signal strength as a router or a Orbi satellite.  This is all from personal experience.

this is incorrect , how do you think offices / universities and schools do it

1 ssid name with many wireless access points

ethernet and wireless access points is and always will be the best way to do wifi anything else including mesh and dw systems like the orbi etc are a compromise

Message 4 of 12

Right okay I agree with your first point.

Regarding your second point if I connect the Orbi Router with an Orbi Satellite via a LAN cord wouldn't that be the same if not better than an access point.  I say this because an Orbi Satellite has multiple Ethernet ports.  I don't see where the compromise is.  I understand that connecting the two with a LAN cord sort of defeats the purpose of the 'mesh' system though.

Message 5 of 12
DukeSilver
Star

Point is:

Dedicated 4x4 backhaul is a great solution to provide internet access to environments that do not otherwise have it - but you pay a premium for this solution that provides 2x2 wifi access.

If you have a wired backhaul environment, you can deploy 3x3 APs for less money that an Orbi.

Message 6 of 12

@fedxdelivered wrote:

Right okay I agree with your first point.

Regarding your second point if I connect the Orbi Router with an Orbi Satellite via a LAN cord wouldn't that be the same if not better than an access point.  I say this because an Orbi Satellite has multiple Ethernet ports.  I don't see where the compromise is.  I understand that connecting the two with a LAN cord sort of defeats the purpose of the 'mesh' system though.

then buy a router that has AP mode like the netgear r7000 and use it as the ethernet connected wireless access point with 4 ethernet points and have its ssid the same , as stated above its actually a better solution as you end up with 3 x 3 1300M and 1 gig backhaul

and yes having them run in ap mode with ethernet backhaul defeats the main purpose of buying a mesh / dw system and the price they cost in the first place

for instance you can buy the velop and if you can get the ethernet working after install when you swap it to ethernet backhaul the whole mesh thing goes out the door as it always uses the ethernet not matter how congested that node gets as its cant find a faster connection that ethernet , thus they are just working as standard wireless access points

Message 7 of 12

Ok trying to understand all of this...

Because my modem/main router are surrounded by a concrete wall I have two feasible options 

#1: use a LAN cord to connect an access point to the main router

#2: use a LAN cord to connect another router to the main router

If I choose option 2 then I can configure the second router to act as an access point to have the same SSID as the main router.  Does this mean there is only one network name and my devices would change to the best router automatically?  If this is the case, I also now have extra ethernet ports to plug into the tv, apple tv, etc.

What's your opinion to do here and if you can what are some products I should be looking at or what are some features I should be looking for when purchasing new gear?

Message 8 of 12

@fedxdelivered wrote:

Ok trying to understand all of this...

Because my modem/main router are surrounded by a concrete wall I have two feasible options 

#1: use a LAN cord to connect an access point to the main router

#2: use a LAN cord to connect another router to the main router

If I choose option 2 then I can configure the second router to act as an access point to have the same SSID as the main router.  Does this mean there is only one network name and my devices would change to the best router automatically?  If this is the case, I also now have extra ethernet ports to plug into the tv, apple tv, etc.

What's your opinion to do here and if you can what are some products I should be looking at or what are some features I should be looking for when purchasing new gear?

in ether case you can run the same ssid name for both primary and secondary transmissions , you just need to ensure you use different channel for the primary router and secondary ap or router in ap mode

yes it means only one network name and your client device just roams between the two as you move around the house

with regard to what to buy prob look at the netgear r7000 as the access point ( running in ap mode ) i assume you already have a primary modem/router with wifi

pete

Message 9 of 12
R5Copa
Tutor

Hi, 

I saw that the RBS40 satelite has a Wan port.... So is this usable as a wired backhaul?? 

And compatible with the RBK50 kit?? 

Message 10 of 12

@R5Copa wrote:

Hi, 

I saw that the RBS40 satelite has a Wan port.... So is this usable as a wired backhaul?? 

And compatible with the RBK50 kit?? 

nope , the rbs40 has 4 ethernet ports and NO wan port , the rbr40 has 1 x wan port and 3 x ethernet ports

so no its not usable as ethernet backhaul

Message 11 of 12
R5Copa
Tutor

You are right.... Did not look good enough i think. 

Still staying hopefull that they make this future available true firmware. 

Grz. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7