Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting Orbi to a Fiber GPON optical unit

chinesebookie
Aspirant

Connecting Orbi to a Fiber GPON optical unit

Newbie question, sorry if it is too basic. I have a Fiber connection to the local phone company. All the Orbi docs say to hook it up to the cable modem for installation.

What I have is a box that doesn't look like a modem at all. It is a FiberHome AN5506-04-F  GPON Optical network unit. it has the wired ports and is the wifi and DHCP provider for all the household devices. In other words, it looks a lot like a router. 

The VOIP phone and the TV set top box are hooked up to it. and it has a few spare rj45 ports.

What I want to know is: do I buy the base unit and the satellite unit or just satellite units? I'm setting up units throughout the house to eliminate dead spots. 

It's the initial connection/setup that has me wondering.  Does the optical router provide DHCP and wifi functions that the Orbi units just echo? Or do I need some configuration on the optical router to delegate most router functions to the Orbi.

Does anyone else have this setup>? Have you solved it?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Connecting Orbi to a Fiber GPON optical unit

@chinesebookie wrote:

I've been searching the telco forums and found that it is possible to change connection type from Router to Bridge. is that what you mean?

Yes

If I did that, the Orbi base station would provide DHCP and wifi functions?

Yes

Or I can configure the base station and satellite as access points? Would they extend the existing wifi SSID throughout the house? 

Yes and Yes

Physical configuration:

Fiberhome --> Orbi base station --> Orbi satellite

-or- 

Fiberhome --> Orbi base station

--> Orbi satellite

Fiberhome to Orbi base station via a wired connection? And from either fiberhome or base station to satellite via wireless or wired?

I think the second configuration would only work if the Orbi base station is in AP mode.  The first configuration should work in either mode.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You must always have an Orbi base station to go with the satellites. The satellites won't work on their own.

The Fiberhome is a combination ONT and router. You have two choices. Either disable the router in the Fiberhome (I don't know if that's possible). Or put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) Mode. Either way will ensure that you have a single IP subnet (i.e. a flat, simple to manage network where all devices can reach each other).
Message 2 of 7
chinesebookie
Aspirant

I've been searching the telco forums and found that it is possible to change connection type from Router to Bridge. is that what you mean?

Or I can configure the base station and satellite as access points? Would they extend the existing wifi SSID throughout the house?

Physical configuration:

-or- 

--> Orbi satellite

Fiberhome to Orbi base station via a wired connection? And from either fiberhome or base station to satellite via wireless or wired?

Message 3 of 7
TheEther
Guru

@chinesebookie wrote:

Yes

Yes

Yes and Yes

Physical configuration:

-or- 

--> Orbi satellite

I think the second configuration would only work if the Orbi base station is in AP mode.  The first configuration should work in either mode.

Message 4 of 7
JMU1998
Luminary

For better results and stability if you put Orbi in AP mode make sure to disable wifi on the router(FiberHome or the one you mentioned) so wifi is only active via Orbi units.

Message 5 of 7
chinesebookie
Aspirant

Thanks for that tip. How does this help with reliability/performance?

Message 6 of 7
chinesebookie
Aspirant

Thanks a lot! This answers almost all of my questions. Now I just have to figure out how to get it in Manila without paying an extra $150 for Amazon shipping and customs. On backorder at B&H, and shipping is much less, though customs is a big question.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7