Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting Orbi to iAquaLink pool system

GinaFitz
Aspirant

Connecting Orbi to iAquaLink pool system

I am unable to connect my iAquaLink system to the Orbi network. I get as far as selecting the network and putting in my password. It just drops the network. I understand that the iAquaLink can only work with 2.4 MHz. Is there a way to ensure this is what Orbi uses or recognizes and pushes? I love the signal strength and got Orbi so a signal would reach the pool area... but can't connect the pool system.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 93
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I'm not familiar with the iAquaLink but I do have a similar Pentair WiFi system and I have no trouble with the Orbi. Do you use your iPhone to control the AquaLink? I suggest you do a factry reset of the iAquaLink then retry going through the iAquaLink system setup. Another thing you can try is to make an IP reservation of the AquaLink in the Orbi "Advanced" tab. Under the "Setup" you'll see a "LAN" setup section. When you click on that, it will open a page to allow you to add IP reservations for items connected to your Orbi.

I've noticed that some remote systems take quite a long time to sync with the Orbi. Do not understand why that is but i've seen it with WiFi cams, etc. 

Message 2 of 93
GinaFitz
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.  I am trying to use iPhone.  This is first time we are trying to connect the iAqualink and I purchased the Orbi network because it seemed to be the only one with a signal strong enough to reach pool equipment. 

I understand that for some reason the iAqualink will only connect to a 2.4ghz network (not a 5.0) ... and that perhaps the Orbi network isn't combatible even though it is supposed to be "smart" enough to know what to send and I can't imagine 5.0 would even make it as far away as my equipment/iAqualink control.   I am not sure I understand making an IP reservation ... would the sytem have to be connected to do that (and would it potentially fix the ghz issue)?

I am hearing a buzz that suggests Orbi won't work which would be too bad as it is best system it seems for my house.  Please if other suggestions -- or if anyone has been able to connect Orbi to iAqualink let me know.

Message 3 of 93
tucsontico
Virtuoso

You are correct that Orbi is "smart enough" to transmit both the 2.4 & 5 gHz bands. I have multiple items on my WiFi that are 2.4 gHz only (including my pool controller) and they have no problem connecting to the Orbi. Some of the 2.4 gHz items are outside my house (IP cams, pool controll, etc.) and quite a good distance from both the Orbi base station and the Orbi satellite.

You can manually assign an IP reservation in the Orb software. You must know the MAC address of what ever you're trying to assign to a particular IP address. If the device is connected to the Orbi, it will be displayed in a list after you click on the "Add" button at the bottom of the "LAN Setup" page. If the device is not connected, when you click "Add" there is a  manual entry option displayed after the list of connected devices. Simply fill in the blanks (IP address, MAC address, Device Name) and click "Add". It will take about 30 seconds for the Orbi to reset the IP list but be patient and the Device will show up in the "Reserved IP" listing. After you do that, try to reconnect your iAquaLink by rebooting it (power off/power on).  Good lUck!

Message 4 of 93
Callohan
Aspirant

I puchase orbi ac3000  it also reset my wifi settings for iaqualink. first error code 52 then error code 67.   $300 damage bill.  have reverted back to apple airport routers could not even get through to netgear. so much for their 90 day support. 

Message 5 of 93
Bento78fr
Aspirant

After years of frustration trying to connect my iaqualink module to my home internet, I tried everything, from constantly dropping Powerline internet to range extender, I was never able to get a solid connection with my pool on my iPhone until now!!!
All I did was repeating the iaqualink WiFi setup and then within the orbi app you can actually see under WiFi devices you iaqualink device but still can’t connect wirelessly, I then tried to change the device name from unknown to other and voila!!
I am now connected to my pool without Loosing the signal constantly.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 93
Kmaan
Aspirant

I just helped a customer last night setting up the aqualink to make a solid wifi connection to the wifi network using a wifi extender.  The aqualink was the only device connected to the extender using 2.4 GHz and all other devices in the home are connecting to the home router either through 2.4 or 5 GHz. The home connection is a Netgear router and the extender is Amped Wireless SR20000G High Power Wireless-N 600mW Gigabit Dual Band Repeater and Range Extender . It would be wise to use an Android device and install the app to see if the connection drop is occurring there as well.(Trying to eliminate possible issues with the Apple device).

Message 7 of 93
mark-lutz
Aspirant

I had to get a separate 2.4G access point for iAquaLink to connect to (fortunately I have an Ethernet Port not too far from the pool equipment). I had no luck with getting it to connect to Orbi - having tried all of the suggested work arounds.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 8 of 93
Joedhimself
Aspirant

My work around- I used an old TP_Link Wifi extender, connected it to the Orbi network and created a seperate SSID for the pool equipment. Worked like a charm!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 9 of 93
silver123
Aspirant

I have pretty much the same situation except my Iaqualink worked perfect for about 2 months, then all of a sudden as soon as I would try to open the app or login, it would get kicked off the network.  Iaqualink feels there's something about the mesh system that it tries to push 5ghz onto products that only accept 2.4 but that doesn't jive with the fact that accessing the app is the process that kicks it off the network.

Jandy (owner of Iaqualink) sent their rep here, he  replaced the chip and the antenna, no change, we checked the settings to find that my orbi was inadvertantly set to auto on 2.4 so I changed it to channel 1.....no fix. The signal is full strength at the antenna as I am only able to get 25mb/s wifi here and it's full strength thanks to the Orbi, but whatever causes this handshake issue is unknown.

As a 2nd to last resort I have turned my uverse 2.4 wifi back on (left the 5ghz off) and re-set the antenna to connect to the att uverse, even at a whopping 1mb/s it's working and has not kicked me out.

To recap:  The Antenna will connnect to the orbi router and hold it's connection UNTIL you access the app and try to use it, THEN it kicks the connection (for me this is what is happening) I understand some of you aren't even able to get connected in the first place which is also strange)

Message 10 of 93
Chuck_M
Mentor

Has this device EVER worked with Orbi?

Can you tell us your Orbi firmware version?  This might be something that the beta firmware has resolved.

Can you describe what the rest of your network looks like? (e.g. what hardware is upstream of the pool and/or your mobile device?)

And finally what is the make/model of your cable modem?

If all other potential causes arent there...

In this case, I would try lowering the power of the 5G network to 25% -- forcing the Iphone to the 2.4g network by the pool and then trying a setup with your phone near your pool equiment.    Then increase the 5g power back to normal.

Message 11 of 93
silver123
Aspirant

firmware V2.2.1.210

It connected to Orbi fine but when you access the application to make changes to the pool settings it kicks it off the network

I only had he Orbi running wifi until now, I Had to turn on the 2.4ghz wifi channel on the att router to get a connection that won't kick the iaqualink offline when I use the app

When you say "upstream" what do you mean, is there an order to how devices are connected / level of importance for example?   I have 17 devices connected to the orbi, things like iphone X 2, ipad, roku tv X 5, computer, sonos X5, roomba, lutron, rainbird irrigation, garage doors.

att router is 5268ac

Message 12 of 93
silver123
Aspirant

The iphone can be on cellular, and the orbi will still kick the iaqualink off the network, it's not related to the phone's connection it has something to do witht he orbi.

Does the orbi try to make connections move to 5g under specific parameters, if it does that would explain why 2.4 devices lose connection?  Not sure how to phrase that with appropriate verbiage

Message 13 of 93
Chuck_M
Mentor

So you have a router (att) and then an Orbi (also a router) connected to each other?  That very well may be your issue unless one of the following were true:

1.  Orbi configured in AP mode (instead of router mode)

2.  ATT Modem/Router configured in Bridge/Passthrough mode

Do you know if either of the above are true?

Message 14 of 93
Chuck_M
Mentor

Orbi will not have devices migrate from 2.4 to 5G.  What network a device "joins" is up to the decision and capability of the device itself.

Orbi could care less.

I believe your issue is a  double NAT condition if I understand what you are saying above.  See my previous post.

Message 15 of 93
silver123
Aspirant

The orbi is hard wired to the att router not wirelessly connected, you cannot get rid of the att router it has to be in place as it supplies the signal to the wireless tv boxes.

If this was the problem wouldn't it make sense that other devices would have issues, also wouldn't it make sense that the Iaqualink would have connection issues other then when you access the app to control it?

What screen do I log in to on orbi to check the mode, I didn't change the mode as far as I recall, both should be operating just as routers do (and up until today the wifi was deactivated on the att router (which was while the problem persisted) now that it's 2.4 wifi is on again, the iaqualink is retaining stable connection to the att router and everything else is operating fine connected to the orbi

Message 16 of 93
Chuck_M
Mentor

After quick research, I found that the modem/router/wifi combo you have cannot be placed in bridge mode.

it does, however have a DMZ+ mode.

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Features/5268AC-in-Bridge-Mode/td-p/5565899

He is probably still using the WIFI on the original router for the TV boxes... but I am not sure if this is 802.11 or some other wireless signal. 

@ekhalil or @FURRYe38 , can you provide @silver123 with the process to connect Orbi to a DMZ (in this case a DMZ+ if I am correct) and how Orbi and the original ATT should be configured? 

Message 17 of 93
Chuck_M
Mentor

Try to log onto your Orbi at  http://orbilogin.com/adv_index.htm

Click ADVANCED SETUP on LEFT and then ROUTER AP MODE on left navigation pane.

That is where you can determine what mode your Orbi is in.

it should ask you for a user name and PW... should be admin and whatever your Orbi PW is.

Let us know and proceed from there.

Message 18 of 93
silver123
Aspirant

thanks, operation mode "router"

Sorry for the delay went to dinner.

And I appreciate the help I just want to stress for trouble shooting purposes, whatever you're thinking, keep in mind this issue only impacts 1 device, not any other device connected, there's something that must be unique about the iaqualink as it related to the orbi that makes multiple customers have the same issue.

Message 19 of 93
raven_au
Virtuoso

@silver123 wrote:

thanks, operation mode "router"

Sorry for the delay went to dinner.

And I appreciate the help I just want to stress for trouble shooting purposes, whatever you're thinking, keep in mind this issue only impacts 1 device, not any other device connected, there's something that must be unique about the iaqualink as it related to the orbi that makes multiple customers have the same issue.

So what wireless standard does the iAqualink support?

Specifically does it support WPA2 encrypted wireless links or have you already tried changing that on the Orbi?

Message 20 of 93
Chuck_M
Mentor

Just wanted to point out that you have an active router behind an active router.  Vegas odds say that is contributing to the issue you are having.

Message 21 of 93
silver123
Aspirant

@Chuck_M  You can't have att uverse and not use their router, there's no other way to run it.

Experiment 1:  turn 2.4ghz radio on on ATT router, even at 1mbps bandwidth availiable the pool controller stays connected and works fine, but being that the distance is very far from the att router to the pool controller and we know the wifi radio / antenna on the att router is terrible that's not really a permanent solution

Experiment 2:  turn on Guest SSID for Orbi, unfortuantely I can't control the radio on the orbi force 5ghz off but in any case the Pool Controller sees 25mbps and disconnects promptly upon accessing via the iaqualink app

Experiment 3:   I connected a nighthawk I had laying around to the orbi sattelite (satellite is located in the rooom adjacent to the pool controller wifi antenna. I turned off the 5ghz radio on the nighthawk and the only thing connected to that is the pool controller, this allows me to at least have a decent wifi signal near the pool antenna so that it's getting decent bandwidth.   The app is running solid, does not kick me off. 

These experiments prove there's nothing about running router on router causing an issue, it eliminates the att router from the issue, it eliminates the pool controller from the issue and points the fault directly at the orbi.

Does anyone understand procedure that occurs between device and orbi every time it is asked to transmit data, this transmission of data is the point at which it disconnects, so the problem lies in there, either the orbi has something unique about it's handshake, security credential checking (whatever you call that) or something else during this process that inevitably forces the iaqualink to discconect. I do not know if there is a way to confirm whether the Orbi is kicking it off the wifi or whether the iaqualink is actually leaving the network.

Being that it's working fine connected to the nighthawk I have a stable work around, but just for curioustity I'd love to learn why exactly this is happening.

Message 22 of 93
ekhalil
Master

@silver123 wrote:

....................... my Iaqualink worked perfect for about 2 months, then all of a sudden as soon as I would try to open the app or login, it would get kicked off the network.  Iaqualink feels there's something about the mesh system that it tries to push 5ghz onto products that only accept 2.4 but that doesn't jive with the fact that accessing the app is the process that kicks it off the network.

1. How do you see that the device is kicked off the network? Do you see it in attached devices in Orbi app or in web GUI and then it disappears?
  2. When you see the device in attached devices, what name does it have in Orbi and in the Iaqualink app?
Message 23 of 93
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

If your wanting to keep the Orbi in router mode while behind the ISP Modem that can't be bridged fully. Then log into the modem web page and locate the DMZ, usually found under Firewall settings. You may see DMZ+. If you can find this, input the IP address the Orbi is getting from the ISP modem into the modems DMZ. Also set a IP address reservation ON the modem for the Orbi IP address as well so the address doesn't change on the modem. After DMZ is setup, reboot both modem and Orbi router. Try this and see of this helps with some connection issues. 

If you can get the wireless device connected to the ISP Modems wifi, what you might do is set the same SSID name and PW on the modem. Turn OFF the Orbi system. Get the wireless device connected to the ISP modem. Once it's connected. Turn On the Orbi system and then shut OFF the wireless radios ON the modem. See if the wireless device connects to the Orbi and remains connected...

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@silver123 wrote:

The orbi is hard wired to the att router not wirelessly connected, you cannot get rid of the att router it has to be in place as it supplies the signal to the wireless tv boxes.

If this was the problem wouldn't it make sense that other devices would have issues, also wouldn't it make sense that the Iaqualink would have connection issues other then when you access the app to control it?

What screen do I log in to on orbi to check the mode, I didn't change the mode as far as I recall, both should be operating just as routers do (and up until today the wifi was deactivated on the att router (which was while the problem persisted) now that it's 2.4 wifi is on again, the iaqualink is retaining stable connection to the att router and everything else is operating fine connected to the orbi

Message 24 of 93
silver123
Aspirant

@ekhalil  On the antenna itself you can watch the wifi LED turn off as soon as you access the app on the phone (or computer)

On the Orbi app you can see it in connected devices, it does take a few minutes to refresh then it goes away, and about 30 minutes later it pops back up and shows connected on the Antenna LED and it's listed in active devices (until you try to access the app again)

read my experiments maybe that will give you more answers.

Message 25 of 93
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 92 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7