Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting Orbi to network extender

Fiat500
Aspirant

Connecting Orbi to network extender

HI, I have a mesh network, Orbi RBR50+RBK30 & still have some areas of poor wifi, ie in garage.

Ideally would like to attach another RBK30 to the network but cost & availability seem to be prohibitive. 

Can a Netgear AC1900 extender be connected & used to extend signal?

Ideally I'd like to manage all devices via the Orbi app on my phone.

Assuming it can be connected seamlessly, can the AC1900 ethernet port be used too?

If not an RBK30, is there another suitable satellite? 

Thanks

Dino

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Connecting Orbi to network extender

AC1900 is not actually a product number.  It is "Marketing Speak" for some mythical speed created by adding numbers together.

If it is similar to other WiFi extenders, then Yes.  In addition to acting as a WiFi access point, the extender provides an Ethernet port that can be connected to a device or to a switch so that more devices can be connected.

In terms of "managing" devices, it depends on what that means.  The central router will assign IP addresses to every device on the system and display all of them, either on the web interface Attached Devices page or on the Orbi app Connected Devices.

Devices will not roam seamlessly between the extender and the rest of the Orbi network (even if the extender uses the exact same WiFi SSID/password as the Orbi).  For "things that do not move", such as garage door controllers, security cameras, refrigerators, etc. this is not an issue.  However things like smartphones, tablet, laptops may "stick" to either the main network or the extender until the signal from it becomes impossible to use.  i.e. they may get slower, and slower, and slower. Turning WiFi off and back on will cause the device to switch immediately to the more powerful signal.

Also, some extenders create fake MAC addresses for devices connected to them. I found that one extender (do not remember which one) hosed my carefully planned IP Assignment scheme because I based it on the actual hardware MAC addresses and the extender hid them.  This doesn't really apply to the Orbi app, because the app does not allow assigning IPs to devices.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

RBS40v, RBS20, other RBS50. all EX series extenders should work as well. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

AC1900 is not actually a product number.  It is "Marketing Speak" for some mythical speed created by adding numbers together.

If it is similar to other WiFi extenders, then Yes.  In addition to acting as a WiFi access point, the extender provides an Ethernet port that can be connected to a device or to a switch so that more devices can be connected.

In terms of "managing" devices, it depends on what that means.  The central router will assign IP addresses to every device on the system and display all of them, either on the web interface Attached Devices page or on the Orbi app Connected Devices.

Devices will not roam seamlessly between the extender and the rest of the Orbi network (even if the extender uses the exact same WiFi SSID/password as the Orbi).  For "things that do not move", such as garage door controllers, security cameras, refrigerators, etc. this is not an issue.  However things like smartphones, tablet, laptops may "stick" to either the main network or the extender until the signal from it becomes impossible to use.  i.e. they may get slower, and slower, and slower. Turning WiFi off and back on will cause the device to switch immediately to the more powerful signal.

Also, some extenders create fake MAC addresses for devices connected to them. I found that one extender (do not remember which one) hosed my carefully planned IP Assignment scheme because I based it on the actual hardware MAC addresses and the extender hid them.  This doesn't really apply to the Orbi app, because the app does not allow assigning IPs to devices.

Message 3 of 4
Fiat500
Aspirant

Thanks. the device is an EX6410 (AC1900 Dual band WiFi Mesh extender) to boost existing WiFi. Important point you mention is that the transition between devices won't be seamless and I don't want that.. Thanks.. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7