Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting RBK 50 to gateway

colslick
Aspirant

Connecting RBK 50 to gateway

I have an xfinity Technicolor 3941T gateway which I want to keep at least until I'm sure the RBK 50 will solve my dead zone problems. I'm not to tech savy and want to set the Orbi up with the best chance for success and keeping in mind I won't be able to do much problem solving. So should I put my xfinity modem/router in bridge mode and use the Orbi in router mode or leave the xfinity as a modem/router and put the Orbi in AP mode, or is there a better way.  Thanks for any help. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FightingFurball
Aspirant

Re: Connecting RBK 50 to gateway

I have the Xfinity ARRIS TG1682G WiFi gateway so I can share how I setup my Orbi System. I left the Xfinity Gateway alone and just connected the Orbi Router’s WAN port to one of the Ethernet ports on the Xfinity Gateway. I set the Orbi to Router Mode. This has worked fine for me because the Xfinity box assigns network addresses in the 10.x.x.x range while the Orbi assigns network addresses in the 192.168.x.x range. I basically have two WiFi networks running and can attach to either but in practice, I make sure all of my WiFi and Ethernet devices attach to the Orbi.

A word of warning though because this setup can be confusing if you plan on using a mobile device to configure your Orbi. Make sure your device is connecting to the Orbi (and NOT the Xfinity box), otherwise you will not see the Orbi at all.

I may eventually set the Xfinity box to bridge mode but I am leery of messing up a working system.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 3 of 6
colslick
Aspirant

Thanks, never thought of this type of configuration. So when I open my wifi on a device I will see xfinity router 2.4 and 5 and Orbi. If  my Orbi connection drops on that device will it automatically go to the xfinity wifi or not because it is a seperate router?   I will give it a try, don't have my Orbi yet.  

Message 4 of 6
colslick
Aspirant

Thanks, so I'm thinking you're saying the bridge mode is probably the best way to go and use the the Orbi router. If I can't make that work then go to the AP mode.  Fighting Furball has an interesting set up which appears to works with xfinity. That looks like an good idea that would not mess with my gateway settings because it works great now and I hate to screw things up with it. Thanks to both of you for your help. I'll let you know what happens after the smoke clears

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you need to disable the wifi on the ISP modem/router. Having other wifi too close will cause problems. You want to use the Orbi as the main wifi and nothing else.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7