Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting RBR50 to the new LBR20 4G router.

Connecting RBR50 to the new LBR20 4G router.

Hi I am currently running a RBR50 and RBS50 with wired backhaul. The RBR50 is connected to a HUAWEI 4G router that I am running in bridge mode to provide my internet access. The Huawei is in the top of my house so it is near the external antenna connections and the RBR50 is a far distance away. I stumbled across the Orbi LBR20 LTE router that is coming out in August and am thinking I could use this to replace the Huawei and provide better coverage of WiFi to the top part of my house in one go. However not sure if I can connect the LBR20 to the RBR50, I guess one device would need the “router” functionality disabled ie DHCP etc. Anyone looked at this or anything similar? Would be a shame to have to replace the RBR50 which was only purchased just over a year ago. The LBR20 has two Ethernet ports but I couldn’t find if it supports wired backhaul.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBR and LBR would be separate wifi systems. You could possibly connect the RBK to the LBR and configure the RBK for AP node using separate SSID names. 

Message 2 of 12
webwude
Aspirant

I have almost the same situation: Huawei LTE Router with DMZ, Orbi RBR50 and 3 satellites RBS50.

What would the options to combine this with an LBR20? Could the RBR50 act like another satellite?
Any ideas?
Message 3 of 12

The conclusion I came to is you can’t use the RBR50 as there is no option to run it in “satellite” mode so you cannot have true mesh setup combining it with the LTE router. There are articles around changing the firmware on the RBR50 to effectively make it a RBS50 but this sounds risky and I don’t have the time to mess around with it. I believe the only official supported thing is to replace the RBR50 with and another RBS50, but given how much I have already spent on this kit, and the cost of adding another RBS50 it’s not something I am going to rush out and do.
Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

@Ozmeister2019 @webwude 

The RBR50 can't be used as a satellite. Only works in router or wired AP mode. 

Message 5 of 12
webwude
Aspirant

So it is either
LBR20
or
Huawei LTE Router and RBR50?
Message 6 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

@webwude wrote:
So it is either
LBR20
or
Huawei LTE Router and RBR50?

Yes, and it appears the LBR20 is having problems with Verizon. I'm assuming CDMA may not be supported, since it does not support Sprint, and Verizon is CDMA.

Message 7 of 12
webwude
Aspirant

And the whole network will be slower I guess, RBR50 + 3 satellites RBS50 (AC3000) compared to AC2200 with LBR20.

Maybe I will give it a try anyway...
Message 8 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

@webwude wrote:
And the whole network will be slower I guess, RBR50 + 3 satellites RBS50 (AC3000) compared to AC2200 with LBR20.

Maybe I will give it a try anyway...

Yes The RBK53 system is hard to beat speed and coverage wise. 

You could run the LBR20 as another router off your Orbi RBR50. Plug a cable from a LAN port on the RBR50 to the WAN port on the LBR20 and configure it. There are other ways to have them on the same subnet, but that's another story.

Message 9 of 12
webwude
Aspirant

Sure. But for that it is a rather expensive LTE Router 😉
Message 10 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

@webwude wrote:
Sure. But for that it is a rather expensive LTE Router 😉

Agreed, I just put it out there if you absolutely wanted to use it?

Message 11 of 12
webwude
Aspirant

I might get the opportunity to test it for free 😉 but the current setup is quite stable...

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7