Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting RBS50 satellite to RBR50 router with ethernet cable

PSIU
Guide

Connecting RBS50 satellite to RBR50 router with ethernet cable

I only noticed this recently that even though my Orbi RBS50 Satelliet is connected to my RBR50 router over an ethernet cable, the attachd deviced still shows is connected via 5G. I have tried restarting both my satelite but didn't help. I then restarted my router, it appears fine (connected over Ethernet cable) at first then it changed its connection to 5G afterward. Any idea why this happens? Any idea what could cause this to happen and how i can fix this?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the RBS connected directly to the back of the RBR or is there a network LAN switch in between the RBR and RBS? 

Was the RBS first wirelessly synced to the RBR then connected via ethernet? 

Be sure your using good quality LAN cable. CAT6 is recommended. "When the Attached Devices screen says the backhaul is "5G Good", then it most certainly is NOT ethernet backhaul.  I suspect something is wrong with the ethernet cable. (either the cable itself, or one of the RJ45 jacks is not terminated correctly)."

Message 2 of 8
PSIU
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is the RBS connected directly to the back of the RBR or is there a network LAN switch in between the RBR and RBS? 

Was the RBS first wirelessly synced to the RBR then connected via ethernet? 

Be sure your using good quality LAN cable. CAT6 is recommended. "When the Attached Devices screen says the backhaul is "5G Good", then it most certainly is NOT ethernet backhaul.  I suspect something is wrong with the ethernet cable. (either the cable itself, or one of the RJ45 jacks is not terminated correctly)."

Yes, the RBS is connected directly to the back of the RBR with no switch in between. 

I have tried both, RBS wirelessly synced to the RBR and i have connected them via ethernet then restarted my RBS.

I am using a CAT6 cable and i have tested the cable with my laptop to make sure it can connected to the network successfully before i connected back to the RBS.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you know if the RBS FW is the same as whats on the RBR? 

You might need to do the following:

You need to update the RBS before updating the RBR. Keep this in mind for future updates. 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

Message 4 of 8
PSIU
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Do you know if the RBS FW is the same as whats on the RBR? 

You might need to do the following:

You need to update the RBS before updating the RBR. Keep this in mind for future updates. 

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

Thanks for the advice. I have checked the version of my RBR and RBS, both have the samve version and both are up to date. If i do a factory reset, will the firmware stay to be the latest or i have to update again?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. FW remains. 

Message 6 of 8
PSIU
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes. FW remains. 

Even doing a factory reset on the satellite also says connected with 5G or 2.4G and not wired. Wired only showed up a few time but it eventually went back to wireless. I wonder if it is hardware issue? 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably a HW issue if it's not keeping the ethernet connection. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7