Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting Range XTD signal booster

CRiggs
Follower

Connecting Range XTD signal booster

I have purchased 3 of the RangeXTD signal boosters, I have gotten one to program but have tried multiple times to get the other two and they will not connect. I have tried the WPS method and the Wireless Computer method. Any Advice?

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Connecting Range XTD signal booster

@CRiggs wrote:

I have purchased 3 of the RangeXTD signal boosters, I have gotten one to program but have tried multiple times to get the other two and they will not connect. I have tried the WPS method and the Wireless Computer method. Any Advice?

Send them back?  They are overpriced for what they do.  A TP-Link N300 costs less than half and works great.

HOWEVER, none of these "WiFi extenders" actually become part of the Orbi "mesh".

They are fine for devices that never move, but anything that "roams" will get stuck on one and never connect to anything else.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Connecting Range XTD signal booster

If you read the reviews/performance of the rangextd, they're horrible. 

I'd have to agree with @CrimpOn to send them back.

I usually recommend to people that if you're needing more than 1 extender, to move to an actual mesh system like orbi. 

they're a lot faster, more stable, and just work. 

And I usually push towards the triband orbi's because of the dedicated wireless backhaul. the only times I don't is when people are using a wired backhaul. Then the dual band (like the nighthawk mesh MK62/63) work great. 

Should you try to keep the system, keep in mind that standard single/dual band extenders drop 50% performance for every hop in the chain. This happens because they use the same chip to go router----extender and then extender-----device. And they can't communicate at the same time. 

so your first router---extender-----device is at 50% speed at best because the extender also takes a speed hit due to distance/interference. 

If you add another one (daisy chain) like router------extender------extender-----device. Then you're at 25% speed. again at BEST. 

Star configurations only have a 50% loss because they only connect to the router. but they tend to be unstable when using multiples, in my experience. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7