Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting Synology Nas Server to Orbi RBK50

Sovby
Aspirant

Connecting Synology Nas Server to Orbi RBK50

I am trying to connect a Synolgy server to my orbi router. On the box it says its an RBK50 but i dont see that in the list. I have contacted synology but i was wondering if there is a firewall on the router that i need to turn off. I tried to connect to it through my windows pc but it dowsnt like the answers to the security questions. I'm as sure as i can be that im typing them in correctly, but it doesnt like the answers. i saw on another post someone suggested resetting everything and starting over but i'm still hopeful i dont have to do that.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Sovby wrote:

I am trying to connect a Synolgy server to my orbi router. On the box it says its an RBK50 but i dont see that in the list.

RBK indicates a "Kit" consisting of one RBR50 (R for router) and one or more RBS50 (S for satellite).  I agree that the drop down list of model numbers is disappointing (and distracting).

@Sovby wrote:

wondering if there is a firewall on the router that i need to turn off.

Yes, the Orbi router contains a firewall (as do all routers), and No, there is no need to turn it off.

@Sovby wrote:

I tried to connect to it through my windows pc but it dowsnt like the answers to the security questions. I'm as sure as i can be that im typing them in correctly, but it doesnt like the answers. i saw on another post someone suggested resetting everything and starting over but i'm still hopeful i dont have to do that.

Here you are definitely in a bind.  When the Orbi is first taken out of the box:

• The WiFi credentials (name and password) are what is printed on the product label (bottom of the router), and
  • The Orbi web administration credentials are "admin" and "password".  Admin cannot be changed and the user is badgered into changing the password to something a bit more secure.  There is also an opportunity to set up two Password Recovery questions which can be used to get into the router if the password is entered incorrectly three times in a row.  Many users skip over that step and do not actually input answers to the questions.  If this is the case, yes, a Factory Reset is the only way to get into the router.

The Synology error message is a result of the PC scanning the LAN and not getting a response from any Synology servers.  If the Synology is connected to the Orbi router with an ethernet cable and powered on, something is wrong.  I do not believe that you have do to anything on the router to attach the Synology.  There are options which require forwarding ports on the router, but they are not required for local access.  One key is the Synology software.  Which version of D.S.M. is supposed to be on this Synology server?

Message 2 of 7
Aggie88
Apprentice

I have a Synology NAS (DS920+) attached directly to one of my RBS50 satelites via ethernet.  I did not have to do anything to let it connect.  Do you have any type of Orbi access control turned on?

Message 3 of 7
Aggie88
Apprentice

I am running DSM version 6.2.3-xxxx on the NAS and 2.7.3.22 on the Orbi system

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

That error message specifically mentioned D.S.M. 6.2.3 and clicking on a 'gear icon' in the upper right.

(I have no Synology server, so have never run any Synology software.  Do you see this icon?)

Message 5 of 7
Aggie88
Apprentice

I don't see a gear icon on my main page.  The OP may want to go to the Synology community forums and ask there.  One forum is at https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1

Message 6 of 7
Sovby
Aspirant

It's odd but I was able to connect and it is installing everything now. I'm not sure how but it apparently fixed itself. I was not able to connect to my router through windows because it refused to accept my answers to the security questions. I was on the find my synology web page and hit refresh and it found the Nas. Dont want to claim victory yet but it looks good
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7