Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting a satellite destroys WiFi speed

Jminns1028
Aspirant

Connecting a satellite destroys WiFi speed

Hi, so I have been experiencing a pretty frustrating phenomenon over the past few days. When I have my satellite turned off my WiFi speed is approximately 280-310 Mbps, however I have noticed that once my satellite is connected to the network my WiFi speed drops to roughly 24-31 Mbps, 10% lf it’s actual speed. The satellite is only about 15-20 feet away from the main router down a hallway because I have a desktop tower hardwired into it.

I have tried doing a full reset of the satellite and following the steps to re-add it to the network but the issue persists. As soon as I turn off the satellite, data speeds go back up to 280-310 over WiFi.

I’m using the latest firmware, 2.1.4.16. Does anyone have any insight as to how this might be fixed?
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 4
Jminns1028
Aspirant

So my home is 1300 sq.ft, i have the Satelite because it is (theoretically) supposed to give better network connection speeds to my desktop via ethernet instead of using a USB Dongle. I have about 4 or so networks in range of me. 

The part that boggles my mind is as soon as the satelite is turned off my wifi speeds spike up to 300 Mbps, soon as it turns on, drops to 36-40. 

For whatever reason i cannot login to my router (i did all the setup through the app on my phone) so i will need to go do a factory reset and get back to you after i make those changes.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The distance is a bit too close with the satellite. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with.

Let us know if resetting and trying the suggestions help any...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7