Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting an outdoor Orbi to a car battery

LSterzenbach
Tutor

Connecting an outdoor Orbi to a car battery

Can I connect an outdoor Orbi to a deep cycle battery?  The battery is similar to a car battery: 12v/ 75ah / 20 hour / max charge current 22.5A.  I'd rather not connect an inverter to convert to AC, then plug in the orbi which will convert it to back to 12v.  That just seems too convoluted. 

Does anyone know if I can just direct connect it to this battery? 

The use case is:  I have a gate opener in the middle of my property that runs on a solar powered deep cycle battery.  It would be a great place to mount an outdoor orbi.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume if the amps were the same as what the Orbi power supply gives, then yet. if not, then you make risk damaging the orbi unit. The Amps would need to match. 

Message 2 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@LSterzenbach wrote:

Can I connect an outdoor Orbi to a deep cycle battery?  The battery is similar to a car battery: 12v/ 75ah / 20 hour / max charge current 22.5A.  I'd rather not connect an inverter to convert to AC, then plug in the orbi which will convert it to back to 12v.  That just seems too convoluted. 

Does anyone know if I can just direct connect it to this battery? 

The use case is:  I have a gate opener in the middle of my property that runs on a solar powered deep cycle battery.  It would be a great place to mount an outdoor orbi.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  

You can use a cigarette lighther power supply. CyberPower CPUDC1U2000 2,000mA Universal DC Power Adapter would be a good choice because of its variable volt and amp rating. You could either cut the cigarette lighter eld off and solder terminals or purchase a 12v battery to cigarette lighter female socket adapter. 

Message 3 of 6
LSterzenbach
Tutor

That's what I thought [that the amps had to be the same], but from what I understand about electricity - which is very little - amps are 'pulled', not pushed, so even if the battery COULD provide 10 amps, the device should only get the 1.5 amps it needs...  

I just wonder... could I just cut the power adapter from the cord on the Orbi and direct connect it to the battery?  I really wish there was a way to test this without risking a new Orbi. 

Message 4 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

Did you read my post? I offered a solution.

Message 5 of 6
LSterzenbach
Tutor

Yes I did.  It does look like a good solution.  Thanks for posting it. 

@Mstrbig wrote:

Did you read my post? I offered a solution.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7