Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting hard disk to Router

hgandhi204
Tutor

Connecting hard disk to Router

Hello All,

I have just completed the setup of Orbi RBK 50 and 1 satelllite. I had ASUS router which had USB 3 and USB 2 ports through which I connected my hard disk and used it over the network. I know there are different reports regarding the USb functionality on the Orbi router. 

I currently have a network switch which is connected to Orbi router and many devices are connected to the switch including my ASUS router.

My question is that when I connect my HDD to the ASUS router I dont see it on the network probably coz of different IP address of different routers? or soemthing. I would like to access the hard disk on Roku and android TV which do not detect the HDD on the network. 

Any solutions? help or ideas is very much appreciated

Thanks

HG

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@hgandhi204 wrote:

Hello All,

I have just completed the setup of Orbi RBK 50 and 1 satelllite. I had ASUS router which had USB 3 and USB 2 ports through which I connected my hard disk and used it over the network. I know there are different reports regarding the USb functionality on the Orbi router. 

I currently have a network switch which is connected to Orbi router and many devices are connected to the switch including my ASUS router.

My question is that when I connect my HDD to the ASUS router I dont see it on the network probably coz of different IP address of different routers? or soemthing. I would like to access the hard disk on Roku and android TV which do not detect the HDD on the network. 

Any solutions? help or ideas is very much appreciated

Thanks

HG

Are you still using the ASUS router with the Orbi ROUTER??

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi doesn't support USB drives.

You'll have to contact ASUS to see how they support and configure there router for USB drives. I presume if your wanting to use the ASUS as your USB drive support, you may want to configure that router for AP mode.

Message 3 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Not officially supported by NG. 

Message 5 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Not officially supported by NG. 

so only posts by you are supported?

Message 6 of 15
hgandhi204
Tutor

Yes, I have connected my ASUS router through the network switch which gets its connection from Orbi

Message 7 of 15
hgandhi204
Tutor

Yes, I was aware of Orbi not supporting USB drives, that is why I connected my ASUS router. I used the ASUS router before Orbi and connected the drive which worked fine for 1 year. I will research about AP mode. Thanks

Message 8 of 15
hgandhi204
Tutor

Yes, I was aware of Orbi not supporting USB drives, that is why I connected my ASUS router.

Message 9 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@hgandhi204 wrote:

Yes, I was aware of Orbi not supporting USB drives, that is why I connected my ASUS router. I used the ASUS router before Orbi and connected the drive which worked fine for 1 year. I will research about AP mode. Thanks

Nice....AP mode is required IF you must run 2 routers.  In most cases running 2 routers on a network can be like having 2 queen bees in the same hive.  Will not work.

Message 10 of 15
hgandhi204
Tutor

I didnt understand your question? ASUS router supports HDD, thats why I connected it to network switch through orbi

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

AP mode should work. Get with ASUS if you need to. 

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 15
hgandhi204
Tutor

I see. Yeah I guess I can do AP mode, as Orbi is providing internet throughout the house now. FYI my ASUS router still has SSID and if I connect to that SSID i am still getting good speeds.

Message 13 of 15
hgandhi204
Tutor

Thanks. I will update here once i try it whether it worked or not. For future as well. 

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You mighy try disableing the wifi on the ASUS router and just use it as your USB drive connection point and switch. Keep the Orbi wifi as your main wifi. You can use the wifi on the ASUS if you keep the channels far appart from the Orbis wifi channels. Can be problematic if you run into problems. Just disable the wifi on the ASUS. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7