Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting my ORBI to my Pentair screenlogic

CRTX
Initiate

Connecting my ORBI to my Pentair screenlogic

My orbi RBR40 will not connect to my Pentair screenlogic.  I can connect it directly to my AT&T router, but it will not connect to my ORBI router.  It should just be plug and play.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@CRTX wrote:

My orbi RBR40 will not connect to my Pentair screenlogic.  I can connect it directly to my AT&T router, but it will not connect to my ORBI router.  It should just be plug and play.  Any ideas?

Not a lot of details to work with.  Others with pool controllers have posted questions about the "2.4G vs. 5G problem."  i.e. many Internet of Things (IoT) devices have problems connecting to any mesh system (including Orbi).

Does the new Orbi have exactly the same WiFi name (SSID) and password as the previous AT&T router?  If so, then, yes, it should have been "Plug and Play."

Message 2 of 4
CRTX
Initiate

I do not think so.  The ORBI is plugged into the AT&T router. I use the orbi network for everything in my house (wifi). 

the Pentair screenlogic is plugged directly into the At&T router, and thus on that network   What I have to do, it is log in as "remote" when I use the APP on any device, since I am not technically on the same network as the screenlogic.  I would like it all to be on the Orbi network.  I tried plugging the screenlogic into the ORBI router, but it could not find it.  THe tech with Pentair did not know how to allow me to connect the Screen logice to the Orbi network.Sorry if I am confusing you.  

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

There are some housekeeping issues to resolve:  The AT&T router originally provided (a) the interface to AT&T network, (b) "router functions", such as assigning IP addresses to devices, (c) ports to plug ethernet cables into for non-WiFi devices, and (d) WiFi.  Correct?

What IP address does the Pentair have?  What IP addresses do your Orbi devices have?

Is the AT&T router still "routing"?

Is the Orbi in router or Access Point (AP) mode?

If the AT&T is routing, the Orbi could be put in AP mode (on the Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->Router/AP Mode.  In that case, everything will be on one network (the AT&T network) because they all get IP addresses from the AT&T router.  Your problem should go away.

However, you will lose any Orbi routing functions that you may want, such as:

• No Disney Circle or Armor
  • No IP assignments to devices.  If you have spent a lot of time setting them up, they will no longer apply.  The biggest issue I see with this is network printers which need a fixed IP address so clients can "find them."  Maybe the AT&T router does all you want.
  • No port forwarding, filtering, etc. etc.

In general, it is not a good idea to have two routers "back to back".  I did it for two years without problems, but there are numerous specific situations which fail miserably when the customer has two routers in series (often called a "double NAT").

If you are able to make the AT&T router "stop routing", which is often called "pass through mode" or "bridge mode", then my guess is that the Pintair could be plugged directly into the Orbi and work just fine.

Just to round things out, there are other, even more complicated things that can be done.  If your smartphone app is able to set an IP address for the Pintair, I think Orbi would route to the AT&T router, which would know where the Pintair is.  And, there are God-Awful things that can be done with DMZ.

Sorry this got long-winded.  Does anything toward the top make sense?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7