Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connecting to a external VPN

MSRadell
Aspirant

Connecting to a external VPN

Connecting to an External VPN

I need to connect to an external VPN to download files at various times. This used to be no problem with my previous Netgear router but now that I'm using an Orbi I can't get it to work. My ISP is AT&T U-verse and my RG is a Pace 5268 which I have set up for IP pass-through directly to the Orbi. However every time I tried to log into the VPN I get the following error: "The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during the initial negotiations with the remote computer.". I know the problem has to be with the Orbi because if I connect directly to the RG I connect without a problem.

I've attached screenshots from the RG showing the "firewall status screen" and the "firewall DMZ" screens showing the setup.

I've tried every set up I can think of in the Orbi but nothing helps a problem at all. I'm more than willing to try any ideas.

Thanks,

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 3
st_shaw
Master

@MSRadell wrote:

I know the problem has to be with the Orbi because if I connect directly to the RG I connect without a problem.

No, the problem is not necessarily with the Orbi. The way you have it setup, you are trying to connect to your external VPN server through two routers, the Pace and the Orbi.  The Pace does not have a proper bridge mode, and DMZ-Plus is not a true bridge mode.  The problem is most likely with the way the Pace is handling the traffic.

I would recommend you remove Orbi from the DMZ altogether and run Orbi in Access Point mode.  Then your VPN should work, and you would get all the WiFi coverage benefits of Orbi. Or you can spend time searching the Internet for a solution.  There's no setting on Orbi that will make this work, other than Access Point mode.

Message 2 of 3
st_shaw
Master

If you have searched the Internet for information on this issue, you will have learned by now that the Pace cannot be made to pass-through VPN.  You will need to replace it with another gateway.  The Motorola NVG589 reportedly works fine.  It's possible that switching to openvpn might work with the Pace, but that's just a guess.

Try searching on "pace dmz-plus vpn"

This thread is one example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/VPN-Firewalls/VPN-no-longer-working-between-two-FVS318Gv2/td-p/1157...

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7