Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting to new modem (Orbi RBK50 AC3000)

patmorris44
Aspirant

Connecting to new modem (Orbi RBK50 AC3000)

We have an Orbi system that's been up and running in our home for several months with no issues (other than it's inability to play nice with Sonos, but that's a topic for a different post). I just replaced the modem it was originally connected to (Arris CM820A, docsis 3.0) with a new modem (Arris SB8200 surfboard, docsis 3.1). The new modem is up and running, so now my question is: how do I get the Orbi back online? I'd love to simply "pick up where I left off" and keep using the same network name, settings, etc., and the original network name is showing up on my list of available wifi networks, but the Orbi is showing up as offline in my app. Is there a simple way to get it back online with it's previous settings, or do I need to start over and do a complete set up?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Connecting to new modem (Orbi RBK50 AC3000)

Hello Patmorris44

So orbi is not working at all when connected to the new modem? do you have it set in router mode and not as a AP? You may have to do a factory reset of the unit if it is not working.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
patmorris44
Aspirant

The Orbi isn't working with the new modem yet. I haven't take any proactive steps to make it work yet other than (1) unplug it from the old modem and (2) plug the new modem into it (after confirming that new modem was working). I was kinda hoping it would just pick up where it left off, which I assume was naively optimistic (I'm not a tech guy). 
For what it's worth, my Orbi wifi network still shows up as available on my devices. Don't know if that means anything at all, or if the network keeps showing up regardless of internet connectivity as long as the Orbi is on.

I had hoped to avoid the factory reset if possible b/c setting the Orbi up was a much bigger pain than I expected, particularly trying to get it to play nice with my Sonos. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Patmorris44

You can back up your config file to make doing the factory reset easier.

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7