Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting via VPN does not change my IP/location

einarso
Guide

Connecting via VPN does not change my IP/location

One of the main reasons I choose Orbi as my home network solution, was to have VPN functionality.  I travel a lot, and there are websites/apps/services that require me to be connected from my home network to have full functionality (like getting all channels from my TV-provider).  

I tried the service this weekend, and found out that the VPN service does not change my IP, so basicly it does not channel my internet traffic through my home router.  Is this really supposed to work like this?  What is the use of VPN-functionality on a home router if not to connect traffic through the home network?

Is there something wrong with my setup, or does Orbi VPN functunality simply suck?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mrmstn
Guide

Re: Connecting via VPN does not change my IP/location

Whats your VPN Setting for "Clients will use this VPN connection to access:"?
Make sure it's on "All sites on the Internet & Home Network" - You may need to redownload the configuration after you changed the settings.

If this didn't do the trick, what plattform are you using?  Have you tried a different configuration?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
mrmstn
Guide

Whats your VPN Setting for "Clients will use this VPN connection to access:"?
Make sure it's on "All sites on the Internet & Home Network" - You may need to redownload the configuration after you changed the settings.

If this didn't do the trick, what plattform are you using?  Have you tried a different configuration?

Message 2 of 3
einarso
Guide

Thank you @mrmstn.  Changing from "Auto" to "All sites on the Internet & Home Network" solved the problem on my iOS devices.  

I am still struggling with the Mac, but I think the problem there is correct installations of the konfiguration files.  Starting the VPN on the mac gives me repeating messages in the log "write to TUN/TAP: Input/output error (code=5) and my connection to the internet disrupts.  I get an error message telling me the IP did not change.  

When I try to install the VPN configuration in Tunnelblick, the Orbi gives me 5 files, but I can only drag the client.conf file to Tunnelblick.  It does seem to install correctly.  The config.ovpn file after installation states:

client
dev tap
proto udp
remote xxx.mynetgear.com 12974
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
cert client.crt
key client.key
cipher AES-128-CBC