Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connection Failure on Speed Test

j_t_g
Guide

Unfortunately, this still isn't resolved and I haven't received any new update. I discovered if you use Orbi's Web interface, there is an option to perform a speedtest that is burried under Advanced -> Setup -> QoS Setup . Unfortunately, since this relies on Netgear's connection to OOKLA, this is broken too. So, I think we can safely rule out any issue with our routers - this is a backend issue related to Netgear's connectivity with OOKLA, and the issue is present on all platforms (Android, iOS, and Web). I'll try to send the support team another e-mail tonight.

Message 26 of 42
BHHJR
Tutor

Have the same problem. 

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 27 of 42
Coloflyer
Aspirant

Re: Connection Failure on Speed Test AFTER 2.1.3.4

Updated to 2.1.3.4 which has fixed intermittent connection issue. Now speed test does not work from within the Orbi App. Going direct to OOKLA works fine and normal speeds. 

Says, “Connection Failed - if the problem persists, try rebooting your router.” Rebooting has no effect on repairing this problem.

Is there something wrong with what I am doing or is this just a problem with 2.1.3.4.?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 28 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connection Failure on Speed Test AFTER 2.1.3.4

No, this is a NG speed servicie issue. Someone already contacted NG support and they said they are aware of it.

Did you perform a factory reset on the router after updating it?

@Coloflyer wrote:

Updated to 2.1.3.4 which has fixed intermittent connection issue. Now speed test does not work from within the Orbi App. Going direct to OOKLA works fine and normal speeds. 

Says, “Connection Failed - if the problem persists, try rebooting your router.” Rebooting has no effect on repairing this problem.

Is there something wrong with what I am doing or is this just a problem with 2.1.3.4.?

Message 29 of 42
profmsf
Aspirant

Just wasted a few hours trying to troubleshoot failure of Ookla speedtest from Orbi app. Should have looked here first. Tested directly from desktop with no problems. Would appreciate a heads-up from Netgear when this happens.

Message 30 of 42
topshelf
Aspirant

Firmware version: 2.1.2.18 on both router and satellite.

Both direct router speedtest and orbi app on iphoneX speedtest still fail as of today.  Speedtest direct from iphone app or PC/Mac are fine. Clearly Netgear->Ookla problem.  Any update?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 31 of 42
TreborNewob5
Guide

We just have to wait! Emailed Netgear App Support about my issue and was Emailed back with the statement that Netgear are aware and are working with Ookla to fix this problem!
That was great to hear but why is there still no mention about all of this on Netgears Main support page?
Still hold the opinion that Netgear as a Global Company just does not care about it's customers.
So problem still not fixed👺
Message 32 of 42
j_t_g
Guide

The last commenter is unfortunately correct. I've tried to obtain multiple updates, but there are none. The most I have heard is that Netgear is actively working with Ookla to resolve the problem. You wouldn think they would have been able to resolve the issue in a week, but I guess the issue must be more complicated than it seems from the outside. One interesting side effect of this issue is that if you've never setup advanced QoS on your router and want to you appear to be out of luck until the speed test works (at least via the Web admin). They require the speed test to run before you can actually get to the setup parameters. I haven't figured out a way around this. Hopefully, Netgear will be able to fix the problem soon as many of us have been impacted by this issue.

Message 33 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 34 of 42
HighDesert
Tutor

Speed test witking on my iPhone now. Thx for fixing
Message 35 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working now. Enjoy.

Message 36 of 42
Guanadus
Tutor

I have tested the speed test in my iPhone and works again.
On orbilogin working too
It seems the problem has been fixed

Thanks
Message 37 of 42
PaulK617
Star

Now my problem just got worse. Speedtest is fixed but losing connection on my Nest thermostat, then garage opener, now Nest thermostat went offline again. Three times in 3 days. I’ve rebooted the router for a temporary fix. I have about 20 devices. This is even more frustrating. I could live with using Speedtest outside of Orbi. Anyone else have this issue after Speedtest fix?
Message 38 of 42
j_t_g
Guide

@PaulK617No, I haven't experienced any issues since the Speed Test problem was resolved. My nests, Hue, and Echos  are all connected. I'm not sure what firmware you're using - is it 2.1.3.4? The reason I ask is that my Orbi never detected this update, and I had to go to the support page to download and manually apply the latest version. If you're using an older firmware, give that a try. Another thing that might be worth trying is to change the channels you're using for both 2.4 and 5.0 gHz. Maybe you're coincidentally picking up from new interference from something else. Otherwise, I'm sorry to say you might need to try to open a support ticket.

Message 39 of 42
Bailey12
Initiate

Below is the response I received from Netgear.  I responded it wouldve saved may of us headaches had they mass emailed the speed test could not be conducted as they shut down that service.  I'm sure my feedback was very important to them.

"Please be informed that Ookla (speed test provider) had to block Orbi requests after a flood of tests from Orbi users crashed their service. 

This is the reason why the said functionality is not working from Orbi units.
We are currently working with Ookla for it to be restored the soonest possible time."

An email will be sent to you to once the service is back up.

Message 40 of 42
PaulK617
Star

@JTG. I’m on v2.1.3.4. My Orbi also didn’t recognize the update. Had to install it manually. Yes, I read from from somewhere in the community to try to change the channel first. The Orbi is set to auto by default for the 2.4 GHz bandwidth, switched that to channel 1 and restart the modem. So far it’s good, fingers crossed! If not, the last resort is factory reset and that’s no fun.
Message 41 of 42
lukeohana
Aspirant

Yes i need to reboot my satellite often! But yes speed test works now
Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7