Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connection Type (Wired vs Wireless) Not Reporting Properly

incarnadine
Aspirant

Connection Type (Wired vs Wireless) Not Reporting Properly

Hi Folks,

I recently set up a RBK50 with an additional satellite. So Obri products on the network are: RBR50, RBS50, and RBS20. The problem I am having is the attached devices page (also the Orbi App for iPhone) is not correctly reporting connection types. I have anywhere from 15 to 25 connected devices at any given time. Many of them low-bandwitdh (the time clock for my business, for example, uses very little data) and then several mac computers, ipads, and iphones.

Both satellites are on an ethernet backhaul. I feel pretty confident they are utilizing an ethernet backhaul, because i have a difficult property and where they are located gets very poor WiFi reception from the router. In fact, if I disconnect the ethernet cable from either satellite, that satellite goes either Magenta or Amber, and the "attached devices" page from the router web interface shows a backhaul status of "poor". WIth the ethernet cable plugged in, it shows backhaul status of "Good" for both satellites.

One of the satellites, the RBS50, has consistently shown a wired backhual since i've set it up. The RBS20, is showing 5ghz WiFi backhaul, even though its plugged in, and my switch has a double link light (indicating a gigabit connection). Any idea what is causing this?

Also, several iphones show as wired connections from the mobile app (but not the web interface). This is obviously not true. Attached is a screenshot of the satellites from my web interface. 

Also worthy of noting: The "Shop" Satellite (the one showing a wired backhaul) is in a building with no ethernet wiring. That building has two six-pair phone lines running to it so i stole some pairs from one of those and terminated an RJ45 connecter to that (barely got those big phone wires to fit the connector!), and then patched it from a 110-block into my switch. Not the best conditions for an ethernet connection, I wasn't even sure it would work. But that is the one showing wired. The other Satellite is in my office and that is regular cat5e cable all the way back to the patch panel and switch.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
ekhalil
Master

Re: Connection Type (Wired vs Wireless) Not Reporting Properly

Please follow the following procedure to print few parameters that will show what information the Router has about your Satellites:

• Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password that you used to login to Orbi
  • Enter the following commands:
    • nvram show | grep sate_default_name[0-9]

• config get satellite_online_num

• nvram show | grep satellite[1-9]

• nvram show | grep sate[1-3]

• nvram show | grep 'orbi_dev_name[1-3]

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connection Type (Wired vs Wireless) Not Reporting Properly

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What browser are you using? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Is Daisy Chain enabled or disabled? 

@incarnadine wrote:

Hi Folks,

I recently set up a RBK50 with an additional satellite. So Obri products on the network are: RBR50, RBS50, and RBS20. The problem I am having is the attached devices page (also the Orbi App for iPhone) is not correctly reporting connection types. I have anywhere from 15 to 25 connected devices at any given time. Many of them low-bandwitdh (the time clock for my business, for example, uses very little data) and then several mac computers, ipads, and iphones.

Both satellites are on an ethernet backhaul. I feel pretty confident they are utilizing an ethernet backhaul, because i have a difficult property and where they are located gets very poor WiFi reception from the router. In fact, if I disconnect the ethernet cable from either satellite, that satellite goes either Magenta or Amber, and the "attached devices" page from the router web interface shows a backhaul status of "poor". WIth the ethernet cable plugged in, it shows backhaul status of "Good" for both satellites.

One of the satellites, the RBS50, has consistently shown a wired backhual since i've set it up. The RBS20, is showing 5ghz WiFi backhaul, even though its plugged in, and my switch has a double link light (indicating a gigabit connection). Any idea what is causing this?

Also, several iphones show as wired connections from the mobile app (but not the web interface). This is obviously not true. Attached is a screenshot of the satellites from my web interface. 

Also worthy of noting: The "Shop" Satellite (the one showing a wired backhaul) is in a building with no ethernet wiring. That building has two six-pair phone lines running to it so i stole some pairs from one of those and terminated an RJ45 connecter to that (barely got those big phone wires to fit the connector!), and then patched it from a 110-block into my switch. Not the best conditions for an ethernet connection, I wasn't even sure it would work. But that is the one showing wired. The other Satellite is in my office and that is regular cat5e cable all the way back to the patch panel and switch.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7